help please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timjbevan

Reaction score
hi all

i know i should say hi to all in another thread first but im desperate ! I had my 206 practical exam today and couldnt answer only one of the question

Explain why the addition of the capacitor reduces the current in a curcuit ?

i have the chance to resit that part at 8am in the morning

can anyone help please

cheers tim

Tim - Welcome

sorry I don't quite get what you are asking, is it:

you could only answer the one question

or

there was only the 1 question you couldn't answer?

you want us to tell you why the addition of a capacator reduces current in a circuit?

whoops

hi yes fair enought i need the answer to that question its the only one i could not answer

the question i have asked is exactly as it is written in the exam

cheers tim

aah

leading me into it i like youre way of thinking

i think a capacitor stores and releases current in order to bring the sine waves closer together therefore increasing the frequency ?

cheers

wow

it seems im dealing with someone way above my inteligence !

what we need to do is put in laymans terms for me im afraid i have been searching search engines all night and found nothing that makes sense to me

cheers tim

Just say the capacitor reduces power factor and therefore reduces current. That is all that is required in a "2" series exam/assessment. Ar you sure it is the 206? sounds more like 204 to me.

wowit seems im dealing with someone way above my inteligence !

what we need to do is put in laymans terms for me im afraid i have been searching search engines all night and found nothing that makes sense to me

cheers tim
I'm no expert on these things! I was buying time and hopeing someone elce would jump in.

Capacitors store charge.

They will allow us to generate a high voltage from a small voltage for a small time, eg camera flashes.

The charge from the circuit and at this time the current may drop?

I think of them as a short term battery.......

hi ok

maybe i should be more specific ,the capacitor in question is inside a flouresent tube lighting unit and working to oppose the choke the question relates to the difference it makes in this circuit i believe at least

cheers tim

erm now then

i thought it was 206 because its the last exam practical isolation procedure etc

Just say the capacitor reduces power factor and therefore reduces current. That is all that is required in a "2" series exam/assessment. Ar you sure it is the 206? sounds more like 204 to me.
this answer is more or less the answer i gave and the assesor wouldnt accept it and said it wasnt enough information !

How much more or less was your answer? The capacitor reduces power factor, therby counteracting the inductive effect of the choke. If power factor is reduced the circuit is more efficient and consumes less power and therefore less current. If the assessor doesn't like this level of response, ask him to give you a written explanation backing up his refusal to accept your answer. A level 2 assessment should not be that complex.

How much more or less was your answer? The capacitor reduces power factor, therby counteracting the inductive effect of the choke. If power factor is reduced the circuit is more efficient and consumes less power and therefore less current. If the assessor doesn't like this level of response, ask him to give you a written explanation backing up his refusal to accept your answer. A level 2 assessment should not be that complex.
If the p.f were to be reduced it would be less efficient.

Capacitors are generally used to improve a power factor, reduce would be the wrong term. A highly inductive load could have a p.f of say 0.4 a capacitor would be used to bring that closer to 1. If you get your text book your using for the course and read up on power factor correction that should explain alot.

Haven't read through all the replies.

But, The Capacitor brings the power factor closer to unity.

Welcome to the forum too.

And Apache wasn't quizzing you. He just wanted you to tell HIM the answer.

Believe or not, is an educated Vet. :) and he knows more than a lot of qualified sparks out there. (and he is not big headed either).

I also agree that it sounds like the 204.

The 206 is done in the booth, and consists of (colleges vary) 2 lamps, a ring main, 2 lighting radials, 2 so radials, a cu, a sub-main etc.

seems to work for me

go to search

tap in 204

look for P feeney 204 questions