Help to identify this main fuse and type.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren111

Reaction score
please help to identify main fuse and type and tail size if possible, believe this is a tns and 100amp. many thanks

ze 0.39

Image0025.jpg

its either a BS88 or BS1361 (or it could be a BS 1202 or 1449 etc...)

and its either 30A, 40A 50A 60A 80A or 100A.

and the tails appear to be 10, but could easily be 6 or 16

not sure about the incoming tails as it appears to be a combined L/N concentric but the ooutgoing seems to me like 10mm and yes TNS

But what do I know, I deal with a different sort of power these days

That's a bit of an odd ball.

Looks like a concentric incomer with separate fuse and henley block for neutral.

There's an earth clamp on the outer of the concentric feed, so TNCS?

That is almost certainly a concentric upgrade to an older feed cable.

But is that concentric from the fuse to the meter?

And the tails out of the meter look mighty small.

What are those tails going behind the meter board? where do they figure?

seen this setup many times. often done when meter is a bit further away from head than usual (more so in flats with meter high up where meter has been lowered due to changing to credit meter etc)

The tails to the meter from he cutout are a anti tamper device
Explain please.

I can only see ONE cable going into that black plastic thing under the meter, so it looks to me like concentric from the head to the meter, and that black box is a means to split and terminate the concentric into the two terminals of the meter.

I can see how it's an anti tamper device, but is that really the reason why it was used?

Explain please.I can only see ONE cable going into that black plastic thing under the meter, so it looks to me like concentric from the head to the meter, and that black box is a means to split and terminate the concentric into the two terminals of the meter.

I can see how it's an anti tamper device, but is that really the reason why it was used?
you can also get that block with singles sticking out of each end, for placing the meter direct above the cutout

you can also get that block with singles sticking out of each end' date=' for placing the meter direct above the cutout[/quote']Yes I see that regularly, and given enough room, that's the preferred method here to put the meter directly above the cut out.

But I always assumed that block was just for speed of install, to save the guy cutting two short lengths of double insulated singles and stripping them, not as an anti tamper device.

Thats right Andy, we call them security blocks. They stop anyone getting access to the incomming tails.