Help With Light Wiring Required Please!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5ammyboy

Reaction score
Hi,

I could do with some friendly advice if possible please. I'm currently in the process of replacing 2 hallway pendant lights with 7 down lighters.

In the hallway there are two 2 gang 2 way switches. The first switch operates the light nearest the kitchen and the light nearest the stairs. The second switch operate the light nearest the stairs and a light upstairs (not the light nearest the kitchen) hope all this makes sense so far, I've drawn how the set up looks but can't seem to attach the drawing to this thread.

The first pendant light nearest the kitchen has one twin and earth cable going into it which makes sense to me. The second pendant light nearest the stairs has three twin and earth cables leading to it. One cable is cut off and completely disconnected, there's a live and earth from the second cable going into the fitting (neutral severed off) and a neutral from the last cable going into the fitting (live and earth severed off). I can't understand what's going on here and would appreciated any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Sam.

you cant post pics because you are new

have you disconnected anything yet or not? its possible that there are junction boxes or they would be wired between 2 circuits

1/ Have you disconnected anything yet ?

2/ Is everything still working as it should ?

3/ If answer 1 is NO and answer 2 is YES...

Then carefully open up all lights and switches and take photographs of what is currently there..

DO NOT ASSUME ALL BLACK OR BLUE WIRES ARE NEUTRAL...

some may be switched live.!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for both replies...

I've disconnected both pendants but I took photos along the way. I've just insulated the wire ends for now.

I can't gain access to the ceiling from the hallway on the level above so I'm intending on wiring the downlighters under the joists instead... This being the case, it's tough to know what's happening with the wiring at that 3 wire point, plus there's barely any give in the wiring.

Thanks again.

This is where the 10 post before you can post pictures is a problem.

A new member with a genuine question but he can't post a picture to show us what he has got.

Hopefully an admin will come along and enable his rights to post a picture and we can try and help him.

It's a bit tricky to explain without seeing a diagram as to what I'm trying to do and a photo of the wires. If anyone wouldn't mind private messaging me their email address I'll send the diagram and photos across if you think it'll help?

Thanks.

On second thoughts ill send 7 quick posts then post the pics on here now I know the rules.

5 post

That didn't work...

Also try to describe it in words (that will get you another post)

you have three cables. Presumable all the earths join together so ignore those.

Just say where each red and black goes from each cable (label them 1 2 and 3)

Got my 10 posts but the pics are too big to post anyway. Nevermind.

Cable 1 = Red, black and green all cut off

Cable 2 = Red connected to pendant live, black cut off, earth connected to pendant earth

Cable 3 = Black connected to pendant neutral, red cut off, earth cut off

Thanks.

That's an odd way of wiring it, but I guess if it works...

so what's the question?

Ignore cable 1, it's redundant. Perhaps it linked to another light once, who knows.

So The L to your light comes from one cable and the N from another.  Just put these into a junction box (wago box if not remaining accessible) and connect them to your new light(s)

I would connect the earth of cable 3 to the earth of cable 2, it's a good idea not to have one disconnected.

Thanks ProDave

I've managed to download an app which let's me shrink picture sizes down so here's what I have...

rps20141206_172134.jpg