Help With Setting Up A Lan Please?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprocketflup

BDSM SUB & SWAGFAG™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I don't do this too often, but am prepared to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune this time :)

Im second fixing on a site where the first fix has been done by someone else. An owner of one of the previously built and sold properties asked me for some help today and I didn't have a clue where to start, coz Ive never done one before

Set up is, in an out of the way cupboard, adaptable box screwed to the wall, inside is a bunch of Cat5 cables (one to each room in the house) and a 1mm power cable that has its own breaker.

So, im guessing that ill get rid of the adaptable box, and stick the 1mm into a fused spur and pattress, then use that to power a router. Question is, what type of router would I be best to get? there is nine Cat5 cables

Im going to need to invest in a RJ45 crimping tool I guess

Last edited by a moderator:
Think of things this way.

A hub is a multigang extension lead.

A switch is a distribution board.

In the realms of networks, or there abouts.

HTH.

Or you could terminate your 9 Cat5 into 9 Data Points making your own mini patch panel, you can then use the data points at the other ends as data, phone (with LAN adapter) or push whatever you want through it.

You can also get mini domestic patch panels, inside they have room for your bits and bobs and a door that can be locked, about £80 though.

Hubs are old hat...imagine a wheel, hub is at centre and each user is a spoke. Data gets sent to every spoke until the one that wants it picks it up.

A switch is similar BUT it learns where the users are and sends the data via the best route

.....well that's how I explain it to people....not strictly correct but it will do.

Terminate cables into a small patch panel or 9 network points bunched together. Don't try crimping RJ 45 plugs onto cable unless you have the patience of Prince Charles waiting for his mum to........it is an acquired skill

Plus if a crimp goes down you loose the leg....if a patch lead goes down you just call at CPC on the way home and buy a new one

Just saving the tears

Hubs are old hat...imagine a wheel, hub is at centre and each user is a spoke. Data gets sent to every spoke until the one that wants it picks it up.

A switch is similar BUT it learns where the users are and sends the data via the best route

.....well that's how I explain it to people....not strictly correct but it will do.

Terminate cables into a small patch panel or 9 network points bunched together. Don't try crimping RJ 45 plugs onto cable unless you have the patience of Prince Charles waiting for his mum to........it is an acquired skill

Plus if a crimp goes down you loose the leg....if a patch lead goes down you just call at CPC on the way home and buy a new one

Just saving the tears

look on e-buyer for TP data switch less than £10, but works fine. Terminate cables, pulg into data switch and link to router. Will need RJ 45 crimp tool. I you get stuck give me a call.

look on e-buyer for TP data switch less than £10, but works fine. Terminate cables, pulg into data switch and link to router. Will need RJ 45 crimp tool. I you get stuck give me a call.
 Thanks mate :)

Shall present the customer with the different options and see which one they want me to mess up  :slap   

hi all, been having a little bit of bother with this, no worries on terminating the cat 5 cables but I got a little unstuck when doing the phone line.

The phone cable is wored into the BT master socket using pins 2, 3 and 5 and the White/white blue and orange cores, as there is no dedicated phone input into the switch, I take it I make the other end of the phone cable into an RJ45 and plug it in? So wire the same again, pins 2, 3 and 5 with the same cores?

No, won't work

RJ 45  connections...........the white and orange pair are usually digital signal, the blue and white pair are usually the analogue sisignal you need analogue so connect your blue and white from the BT terminal,s 2 and 5. To the rj 45 pins   4 and 5

rj 45

1 white orange

2 orange white

3 wha/ gn

4 bl/wh

5 wh/bl

6 gn/ wh

7 wh/ bn

8 Ben/ wh

whose ray having r e rad your post ...my notes are for making up a lead NOT connecting a switch to a BT llone you need to go

BT...MICROFILTER....PHONES

AND ALSO FROM MICRO FILTER TO ROUTER AND THEN TO SWITCH

Last edited by a moderator:
No.....

The phone line goes into the router and you then connect the switch to that and then on to the other points

Or am I missing the point?
Thats how I would do it,  crimping the plugs is a bit fiddly though.  I find that by cutting off say 2" of the outer sheath of cat5 it allows you to easily seperate and sort the cores into the correct order, then just use your snips to trim them in a nice straight line ensuring the sheath goes into the plug.

Thats how I would do it,  crimping the plugs is a bit fiddly though.  I find that by cutting off say 2" of the outer sheath of cat5 it allows you to easily seperate and sort the cores into the correct order, then just use your snips to trim them in a nice straight line ensuring the sheath goes into the plug.
Don't cut them square!....cut at a very slight angle so that core 1 starts to go in the crimp just before 2 etc.   the aim is to make an angle that gives about 2mm difference between the white/ blue and the brown/ white. Might not sound much but when you are doing hundreds of them it makes a difference to you sanity!

crimping works on stranded also, just make sure you buy the right plugs. Cat 6 plugs usually have about 3 parts to them. (to help keep the twist ratio)

I find it easier to strip back about 30mm and get them in correct order, hold them flat between finger and thumb - cut the cores down to about 12mm (not at an angle) and push them straight in to the connector and crimp.

Get a simple Lan cable tester. ... Even a cheap £10 One that tells you you got all the cores connected and in the right order... You'll get quicker over time but its always a fiddle