Help With Wiring My New Wireless Thermostat

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazm2020

Reaction score
Hi every one I'm needing some help i DONT no much about home electrics I've just bought a Horstmann HRFS1 Programmable Room Thermostat to replace my old timer unit I have read the instructions but can't work out the wireing, the wireing thats on the old one in the pic is from left to right is

switch +&- Earth neutral then live

So that use's 5 of the 6 gaps but the new unit is different and doesn't have a earth can anyone tell me exactly where the wire go before I end up having to pay a electrician to do it??

Thanks

Now I'm trying to put pics on

I can't work out how to put the pic on so if some one can tell me that aswell please

Unfortunately new members can't post pictures straight away.

your old thermostat will most likely have had (not necessarily in this order)

Live in

Switched live out

Neutral

Earth.

Your new one has L and N terminals, and then separate terminals for the switch contact.

The wiring diagram is on page 9 of the installation manual, which if you don't have it, you can download from here http://www.horstmann.co.uk/downloads/ElectronicDocuments/ThermoStats/RF%20Programmable%20Room%20Thermostat.pdf

If you don't understand what is shown on page 9, then it really is best to get an electrician to fit it for you. It will be a quick job for him so shouldn't cost you too much.

If the time clock works your central heating and hot water then you can't replace it with a programmable room stat,,, however you can replace the old stat with a programmable one and set your programmer to constant (like I did)

Hi thanks for the replies yes it's a combi boiler and I think the clock just does the heating also the one that's fitted now does not have a thermostat at all it's just a timer to switch the heating on and off. If I could get the pics on it would maybe make more sense to yous. If anyone want to tell me a email I'll send them and you can put them on for me :)

Left pic is the wiring from the control unit that's on now and the pic on the right is the back of the new control box for the wireless thermostat

I do not have a stat on now that's the problem it only has the programmer next to the combi.

With the best will in the world, you need to call an electrician.  You are not just swapping like for like, you are making a major change to the heating system.

Just been looking, I am not wrong. It goes across terminals 1 & 2, have a look at page 25 of the manual.

Manual

But I would also suggest you consider getting in an electrician who is confident to do it.
In which case it will be a volt free contact, and you will want to remove the red link on the thermostat.

you will also still need to feed power to the thermostat to make it work.

Thank you very much for your help and advice I thought it was going to be a easy swap but I was wrong.ill get back on the phone to the electrician and see if he can come and sort it out for me :)