Helping to stop the cowboys

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buildall

Reaction score
At a job today and had EDF out to change a meter, upgrade their tails and connect an new CU. He fitted a digital meter and I noticed there was no isolating switch. He told me they are longer fitting them in an effort to " stop the cowboys" He also asked for my elecsa reg. He told me that they will no longer connect up a new CU or new install without proof that the work has been carried out by a competent person. This is a big change from last year when I had them out to connect four new installs and they checked nothing. Lets hope this trend continues and that other suppliers start doing the same.

Indeed, Let hope it continues and spreads to other DNOs.

But there again, will it really stop the cowboys, as he put it? They will probably do the DNOs work too, or leave it, which is worse?

there is only one way to stop cowboys ,..... and that is to get rid of the "competant person " bit and your eiter a sparky or your not,.... if you are, then there needs to be a photo graphic evidence to prove this and this can only be issued by the government ! and this must be shown at each job !

and only people who are sprakys can buy electrical materials , so none of this b & q selling consumer units to any punter and telling them how to fit them.

any one got any other ideas how you could stop cowboys ???

there is only one way to stop cowboys ,..... and that is to get rid of the "competant person " bit and your eiter a sparky or your not,.... if you are, then there needs to be a photo graphic evidence to prove this and this can only be issued by the government ! and this must be shown at each job !and only people who are sprakys can buy electrical materials , so none of this b & q selling consumer units to any punter and telling them how to fit them.

any one got any other ideas how you could stop cowboys ???
Would you also stop Halfords from selling brake pads?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of these suggestions have been talked over before.

I do not think there will ever be a sure fire way of stopping them, the consumer at the end of the day votes with his wallet and when anything is greatly cheaper than other quotes he will go for it to save a buck or two.

We see this everyday with copied DVD's and fake designer gear, they know its fake but it looks so good at a glance people will not notice.

Its just the same with any electrical work, I have been beaten on prices that I could not supply the materials for so I would guess the job will be basic and bodged but still get done.

I reckon its only a matter of time before we have a system like NZ where electricians are registered and have to carry a practising licence. Every job has to be given a COC (certificate of completion). Quite well regulated and at least you know that the person who shows you their card is a proper spark who has been assessed and proved himself. I am still NZ registered although practising licence lapsed.

With all the cut backs going on, you can expect to see it more and more.

Nothing will stop the cowboys so you may as well just get on with it.

I reckon its only a matter of time before we have a system like NZ where electricians are registered and have to carry a practising licence. Every job has to be given a COC (certificate of completion). Quite well regulated and at least you know that the person who shows you their card is a proper spark who has been assessed and proved himself. I am still NZ registered although practising licence lapsed.
The NZ sytem has been shut down for a couple of years now.

Result is fewer deaths and injuries.

Most on here thought it was a good idea that some DNO's were fitting meters with built in isolators, so finally we could do our job properly and safely, without needing to cut seals and pull main fuses.

Now you think it's a GOOD thing that some DNO's have stopped fitting those meters "to stop the cowboys" meaning we must now go back to the dubious practice of cutting seals and pulling main fuses, or call the DNO with all the delays and complications that causes.

How can anyone think such a backward move is good, or even that it will do anything whatsoever to stop the cowboys? headbang

I would agree Prodave but its not the removal of the isolator that I find good about what they are doing,its the fact that they now want to see evidence of the work being carried out by a competant person.

This reminds me of the usual practice of the DNO's before Part P came into force, I remember having to show certificates and EIC's before they would carry out any requested work, I still know all the girls in the office at my local DNO by name and they know me because of how long I have been pestering them :)

So yes I agree the removal of the isolator is a bad thing, but the extra effort to check details of the installer has to be good.

but its not the removal of the isolator that I find good about what they are doing,its the fact that they now want to see evidence of the work being carried out by a competant person.
While on the face of it, that sounds a good thing, that will really only apply to a new build where the CU is being connected for the first time.

I'm willing to bet, there are very few cowboys that actually do a complete new installation on a new build, they know they might be caught out by paperwork etc.

Instead, I suspect the cowboys will just carry on doing rewires and other work. They will cut the seal, pull the fuse, fit the new CU without the DNO being involved so no paperwork check, and no reduction in cowboys.

All this will do is inconvenience proper sparks, and make no difference to cowboys.

A well intentioned move that will serve no practical purpose.

I am in full agreement with you and could not argue your points.

I think there is no way to effectively stop the cowboys, but I would like to think that at least some small steps are better than none.

Most on here thought it was a good idea that some DNO's were fitting meters with built in isolators, so finally we could do our job properly and safely, without needing to cut seals and pull main fuses.Now you think it's a GOOD thing that some DNO's have stopped fitting those meters "to stop the cowboys" meaning we must now go back to the dubious practice of cutting seals and pulling main fuses, or call the DNO with all the delays and complications that causes.

How can anyone think such a backward move is good, or even that it will do anything whatsoever to stop the cowboys? headbang
I never said it was a GOOD thing that they are not fitting meters with isolators any more. But I can see their idea behind it as you should call them out to pull the main fuse and then they can check if you are a competent person or not. It might stop some cowboys or diyers.

I never said it was a GOOD thing that they are not fitting meters with isolators any more. But I can see their idea behind it as you should call them out to pull the main fuse and then they can check if you are a competent person or not. It might stop some cowboys or diyers.
I don't think it will.

The proper sparks who has all the paperwork will call them out and put up with the hassle of the time and extra paperwork.

The cowboy will cut the seal and pull the fuse and get the job done just like before, quick and cheap.

I really fail to see how it will stop the cowboys? It's another idea, a bit like Part P, that just burdens the proper sparky with extra cost and paperwork to prove we are competent, and will simply be ignored by DIY'ers and cowboys.

I don't think it will.The proper sparks who has all the paperwork will call them out and put up with the hassle of the time and extra paperwork.

The cowboy will cut the seal and pull the fuse and get the job done just like before, quick and cheap.

I really fail to see how it will stop the cowboys? It's another idea, a bit like Part P, that just burdens the proper sparky with extra cost and paperwork to prove we are competent, and will simply be ignored by DIY'ers and cowboys.
A spark is a cowboy, for cutting a seal, pulling the fuse and getting on with the job?

What about the ones that have been told to do it?

:eek:

I don't think it will.The proper sparks who has all the paperwork will call them out and put up with the hassle of the time and extra paperwork.

+1

Latest posts