High voltage DC transmission

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have been using 200 - 275kV HVDC transmission systems for the sub sea interconnectors for many years. I suppose the volt drop won't be that high at those voltages

They have been using 200 - 275kV HVDC transmission systems for the sub sea interconnectors for many years. I suppose the volt drop won't be that high at those voltages
The thought of switchgear and semiconductors at those voltage levels is mind blowing, I wouldnt want to work / repair / maintain it at all.

Seems counter intuitive, after a certain historical argument concerning AC, DC, and a dead elephant, yes, there really is an elephant in the room, and it's smoking 😀

Always wondered why they chose 50/60 Hz go AC transmission. What if you upped the frequency? Marine and aircraft used to use 400Hz enabling smaller transformers. switched mode power supplies are kHz. I think the problem is not in the transformers but the reactive losses in the lines and cables. I think that is the reasoning for DC.

I understand that using the lowest frequency possible suited the relatively slow rotary machines of the day and the associated transmission equipment, whilst incandescent and arc lighting demanded at least 50 or 60 Hz for acceptable flicker effect.
There wasn't the collaboration to achieve (or need), international standardisation so 50 or 60 was chosen by predominant manufacturers in each country