How and what to charge

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithjim0001

Reaction score
Hi All

Age old problem i suppose but one that is proving to be a big deal for me so im hoping you can all give a little input.

I did a job thursday outside light off ring into fused spur also renew single and twin socket but the metal back box on the twin had been grip filled on as no fixings avaliable so took a lot longer due to this problem.

I worked solid for 3 hours.

Total cost of materials Approx

Firstly you need to know what your business costs you to run and how much you need to make per hour to break even. Then decide what you want to earn and come up with an hourly rate. There's more on this in KME's business thread.

Small jobs often done on a price based on how long you think they'll take. Sometimes you'll win, sometimes you'll lose. I think [as a customer] I'd like a price to work to rather than hourly rate as I'd want you to hurry up that way!

The more you do the better you'll get, but sometimes you'll still get bitten on the bum!

Unfortunately it's a case of some you win, some you lose...

Other jobs you'll do will not take as long as you thought!

So do you want the money and a bad reputation or a bit less money and a really good reputation?

Don't work for that customer again. 90 quid sounds very fair to me.

Seriously though, did you explain or show the customer the problems with the back box? Was the customer present and able to see how hard you worked. If so, they're well out of order.

25 quid an hour is fair, provided you're properly kitted out, a scheme member, and able to tackle most jobs competently.

I'm thinking of pushing my rate up to 30.

The simple answer is....

1/ Look at the job...

2/ Suss out how much you personally need/want as a minimum figure to do the work.

3/ Tell the customer how much it will cost.

4/ Ask the customer if they want you to do the work at that price.

5/ Either walk away treat it as a no obligation free quote visit

6/ Do the work at the agreed price.. get paid & go home! :)

6a/ have a beer!:OGuinnessGuinnessGuinness

Bottom I am trying to say is agree a price and/or limitations BEFORE doing the work!

NOTE:

A price may be a total figure for the work...

OR

and hourly rate and preferable give a max duration..

e.g. Mr customer this will be at '

i have a friend that works in the domestic IT industry. the other week he went to fit somebodies computer which took him 2 hours. He told the costomer the price of

I would never back down on my price once the work is done.

Usually its an agreed price before hand unless its a regular.

I think it would be good for people who post questions like this, to have replies that explain how to calculate an hourly/daily rate based on their overheads etc.

Somebody said here "I don't know your overheads", however you can still show how to work it out with basic calculations.

I would love to provide such calculations, but I'm still struggling with it after all this time and usually just check what others are charging in my area, but it would be nice to be able to calculate it :)

It has already been explained on here, I am almost certain of it?

I will have a dig about and get back to you, Volt.

Naturally, I will post a link to that thread, should I find it.

:)

Best Regards,

Admin.