How Big Does A Pond Have To Be To Make It A Swimming Pool?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_Peef

Reaction score
Hi all, 

I have been asked to supply power to a shed. Simple enough you say, but what if I told you that right next to the shed was a massive amount of water that is not a swimming pool but a 5ft deep Koi carp pond? A pond waterfall feature sits in part of the shed wall. Should I really class it as a swimming pool location as the customer might have wet clothes, wet hands etc.? The sockets will also be less than a couple of meters away from the pond edge.

I intend to install a 1-way RCD main switch CU next to the existing CU. Then connecting it to the shed with SWA  (3.5M high) on wire over the short gap over the path to the shed where I will DP FCU it down accordingly to sockets and lighting (pull cord switch). He says that he will only using max 700W so there is no need to supply power tools, heating etc.. No chance to put in the ground as the sewer is in the way.

I need a second opinion please.

Thanks

Current setup:

TN-C-S

100A DNO fuse

Wylex CU

BS 3036 rewire-able fuses

No fixed RCD.

Take your trunks with you, and try going for a swim.  I suspect you might decide it's NOT a swimming pool.

How about;

At house cu > 40amp 60898/ 3036 retro fit > short run of surface 6mm T/E > small enclosure with an SBS 32amp DP rcbo > 4mm swa to shed > small cu (TT or not to TT the choice is yours) > run in 16amp socket & 6amp circuits as required.

Not forgetting the MEB's / testing / certing & notification.

I'm sure you must know what action to take with that one , Chris, have look in the Regs at Special Locations and decide.

I can assure you that a garden fish pond is NOT a swimming pool.... its a Fish pond .

You are doing what a lot of us Sparks do .....creating problems that are not there.    

How about;

At house cu > 40amp 60898/ 3036 retro fit > short run of surface 6mm T/E > small enclosure with an SBS 32amp DP rcbo > 4mm swa to shed > small cu (TT or not to TT the choice is yours) > run in 16amp socket & 6amp circuits as required.

Not forgetting the MEB's / testing / certing & notification.
nooo don't let steps put a rod in, it'll make the pond leak :coat

seriuosly though, given the highly prized an therefore expensive nature of large Koi carp, I think I would err towards multiple RCBOs for multiple circuits - reliabilty of supply etc etc rather than single RCD

I posted this before but its worth digging oout again .

We were doing the electrics on an extension to an architect's house/office.......it was a wooden pepperpot shaped thing with a jacuzzi and an exercise pool.  

This was set in the floor and about 4m long X 2m wide .   You swim against the pumped current , basically staying still.

The customer told our sparks to install some sockets in there and a wall switch, we refused as we saw it as a bathroom .  As in ....a tank with lots of water ..wet half naked bodies  walking about .

A bull & cow  developed so we asked the NICEIC man for a ruling ....took him to site .....and he pronounced it NOT a bathroom  because it wasn't for washing !!!!   And it was down to us as contractors to decide   :C

We refused to fit sockets and left site .

Regarding the existing CU - there is no room at the inn. So a separate or new CU is called for.

My Ninja safety training has turned me into Koi fodder as whatever I supply will be a hell of a lot better than the current set-up.  Definitely a case of thinking to much. Liquid brain lubrication at the local alcohol dealers is called for.

I am sure It is a special location, a pondpool, can't find it in the regs (give it time).

I will give it some bathroom treatment to be on the safe side.

Thanks for your ideas, options and opinions, they are all very much appreciated. 

FYI: me in swim shorts - no a pretty sight a my age. The fish would be better of sucking on a live cable lollipop. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts