How much do you charge for an EICR?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyHippyDad

Reaction score
I have recently upped my 'average' cost for carrying out and EICR to £250. This is for a standard 2 or 3 bed house, less than 10 circuits, no other consumer units (i.e garage etc). It takes me 3 - 4 hours. However, I have just spent around 2 hours writing up the report (plus the invoice) which is still work, so altogether 5 - 6 hours.

Just wondering is this is the sort of price others are charging? I would say I get 4 out of 5 quotes accepted for an EICR at this price.

I used to charge around £150, but I've retired as of last year. Talking to the staff at Denmans the other day, it seems most of the electricians in my area now work on £50-60 per hour, which is in line with your £250.

It all rather depends on where you are in the UK , and whether you want to join the race to the bottom
I kind of side the other way Murdoch.
Build up a good reputation, build trust etc, then you can charge accordingly.
I won't be joining the race you've mentioned, and I'd like to think not many do.

I quite agree. Problem is that many LAs have sparks offering bottom price reports.

I never did a report for a LA - only direct for Landlords who pay for a decent report

That said doing EICRs can be so tedious so I never wanted to do many

Build up a good reputation, build trust etc, then you can charge accordingly.

Erm..? A successful business must ALWAYS charge appropriate amounts from day one!

Irrespective of what business you are in... (Electrical / Gardening / Plumbing / Brick laying / EV-Chargers / Baby sitting / Painting / Computer repairs / Gas appliances / Solar panels etc.. etc.. )

You MUST charge a sufficient amount to cover ALL of your overheads and earn a reasonable profit..
Otherwise you will go 'Bump' quicker than you thought, after working like an idiot!

When I commenced self employment back in 1999 various books I read about starting your own business warned against offering "Mates-Rates" or "Family-preference-Costs", as your name can get passed around as been "too cheap" for you to sustain!

Far better to charge the full amount and get a reputation for reliability, good workmanship, time keeping, etc..

Discounts and/or reduced rates are better kept for long-term-loyal-customers..
rather than potential new business that may be a one-off!

I never really worry about what anybody else is or isn't charging for similar work...
As their overheads may be very different to mine..
Just charge what you need to, so that all of your work is profitable!

Some employees have the option to strike for better pay... Those of us working for ourselves do not...
We just have to make sure we know how to work out our costs so that we don't under value ourselves!

Last edited: