How to approach this??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkyboy

Reaction score
Right lads...

I have got the plans for a new contract, I already have the job, the rates are agreed on a per house basis but having looked at the plans (drawn up by some part-timer) I have noticed that I can save the main contractor nearly

1. You are a business not a charity.

2. In the current economic climate you have NO guarantee that the business you are working for won't go bust before the contact is finished.

3. In the whole bigger picture

Sparkyboy

Look at it this way

the main contractor has already taken his profit for the job

why give him yours,,,just because you have a good eye for a saving dont give it to him.

i would put in the bank for a rainy day or a good holiday

the main contractor has already taken his profit for the job

why give him yours?
I believe Theoryspark has identified the key point for your consideration on this matter Sparkyboy.

Doc H.

Sparkyboy

I don't get this are you providing materials or is he providing them. How are you going to make savings, is it by altering the plans. In the scheme of things

dont confuse things main contractors are not interested and usually not very bright.

if you start asking questions and generally making a fuss they get confused and panic.

all they want is a job doing for an agreed price nothing more nothing less.

see it as a bonus m8.

you may need it once the plasterers start crushing cables and the plumbers start drilling holes through wires etc,

If you choose to pass savings on to clients, you need to be careful which clients. Some will appreciate the saving, others will view you as a mug and for ever after they will EXPECT reductions of some sort. Word may well get around that you are good at cost cutting. It's a slippery slope.

Special Loc., Theory & JL have highlighted the other important points.

If you can make the money keep the money.

Best wishes for 2009 & a profitable contract!

Pyro.

If it makes you feel any better i can take the 'excess' money away from both of you? Pm if your interested!

Just stick to the agreed price, make sure you get a payment for each unit or even for 1st fix as you go. Housing sites are notorious for ripping off sub contactors. And heed what Theo and the others have said.

Don't forget ,don't do too many units without getting a payment and make sure you get a record of your CIS payments from the main contractor.

Deke

If you want to get rid of the excess cash ....

See that donate button at the top of your screen and enter 1,500 or 3,000 into the appropriate "

Sparkyboy, if you were to get rid of the excess to the forum, I wonder if Welsh Wizard's avatar needle would swap sides?

Is this in the plan Welsh Wizard?

Sparkyboy, if you were to get rid of the excess to the forum, I wonder if Welsh Wizard's avatar needle would swap sides?Is this in the plan Welsh Wizard?
:^O

The guys an idiot but he does well for himself
So sod him and keep the money - there's always a good chance he will behave like an idiot towards you, espaecially towards the end of the contract when he's run out of money and wants freebies. He probably got where he is by being a slippery customer and tighter than a shark's sphincter. See if you can check him out with other local trades, especially his last spark.