how to put storage heaters on e7- what way urgent please?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparknorfolk

Reaction score
hello guys hope you can help on this one, basically ive put 4 new storage heaters in, 4 x 2.5mm radial supplies these will have an individual board as the place still has economy seven but the place has had electrics messed with in past so i have taken cables down to meter ready for consumer unit what i can see is board for house electics (which im changing) and small two way for hot water tank and old 7.5kw blow heater! thats not been working / connected for ages anyway this board has what looks like a 6mm live from e7 box and main board normal feeds! im confuded on now how to power my new storage heaters as ive only done e7 on auto switchover e7 setups before any help much much appreciated please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

Sounds like the old Warm air heater set up which had a 24 hour supply (thats the 6mm) and a 5 amp Off peak supply that triggerd contactor inside the warm air unit.

The two way Off peak CU fed the contactor and the Immersion.

You need to upgrade the Off peak tails to feed your storage Heater CU and include the Immersion OR feed Immersion from 24 Hour CU and provide Immersion Timer.

Just had a couple of glasses of wine and seem to be struggling with the OP TBH.

The old tariff may not be available, or may be expensive, wire back to seperate fusebd, leave tails and apply for E7 meter.

am i allowed to upgrade 6mm feed as its inside e7 radio signal big black box or coming from there i meant which obviously is property of lecy board?

Offically no

What you should do is get the supplier (Who the customer pays his bill to) to arrange visit from Metering to disconnect 6mm and connect you new Tails into the Tele switch.

They may charge for this and depending who the supplier is may be very difficult to get done. The customer MUST ring themselves as the supplier will not talk to anyone else due to Data protection.

They will probably tell them they need to contact DNO, (EDF in Norfolk) but insist NO its a Test and connect visit from Metering NOT supply side upgrade.

Its a nightmare, no wonder many end up just doing it themselves.

so if it were to be done say by chance when i arrive next! someone would simply replace the teleswitch 6mm feed with a 25mm tail and i would then take this direct to the consumerunit or to a chock block first then consumer ? thanks

Unlikely any one would bother.

The Live feed into the tele switch needs upgrade to take your new Heating load.

It will come from a double pole connector block along with the Nuetral that feeds the existing 2way Off peak. These both need to be adequate for your new load.

The Nuetral feed to the Tele switch is only to power the contactor and reciever unit so no Load to worry about on that.

What size is the main service fuse?

What is your new Consumer Unit load?

16mm may be adequate