How To Wire A Ceiling Rose That Has 7 Wires

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otterspocket

Reaction score
I'm trying to rewire a ceiling rose, and I made the very silly mistake of not photographing or checking the initial wiring before I took the previous fitting down.

I seem to have 7 wires coming in through 2 cables. I can't seem to find any information about what to do in this situation - every diagram I find is for more or less wires!

The light point is on its own circuit, though I think the original installer may have thought there were multiple lights on the circuit. What should I be wiring to the Live & Neutral of the light (I know where Earth goes!)? Should any of the wires be looping (I think so?)?

I can't seem to attach photos as I don't have enough posts, but cable A in the ceiling has blue, brown & yellow/green and cable B has black, brown & grey with brown tape. 

At the switch there is a brown wire and one that's grey with brown tape.

Thanks!

We'd only be guessing so you need to test the wires to see what goes where.

Here is my educated GUESS (try it at your own risk)

cable a blue to light fitting N

cable a brown to loop

cable b brown to loop

cable b grey with brown tape to light fitting L

cable b black not connected.

Usual note to anyone reading, please not what cable goes  where BEFORE you disconnect the old fiting and if as is very likely there is more than one of each colour, label them in some way so you know which is which.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree with Pro Dave's suggestion, possibly in the past there was (or was gong to be) a second switch to work this same light for two way switching. 

Doc H.

I would agree with Pro Dave's suggestion, possibly in the past there was (or was gong to be) a second switch to work this same light for two way switching.
That's not how 2 way switching works. Most likely the extra core was to enable the switch to be changed for a 2 gang and wall lights wired from the rose, or a 2nd lighting point, or the person wiring the place ran out of T&E!

I'm trying to rewire a ceiling rose, and I made the very silly mistake of not photographing or checking the initial wiring before I took the previous fitting down.

I seem to have 7 wires coming in through 2 cables. I can't seem to find any information about what to do in this situation - every diagram I find is for more or less wires!

The light point is on its own circuit, though I think the original installer may have thought there were multiple lights on the circuit. What should I be wiring to the Live & Neutral of the light (I know where Earth goes!)? Should any of the wires be looping (I think so?)?

I can't seem to attach photos as I don't have enough posts, but cable A in the ceiling has blue, brown & yellow/green and cable B has black, brown & grey with brown tape. 

At the switch there is a brown wire and one that's grey with brown tape.

Thanks!
heres a diagram of how i think it may be needing to be connected hope that helps.

View attachment 6163

That's not how 2 way switching works. Most likely the extra core was to enable the switch to be changed for a 2 gang and wall lights wired from the rose, or a 2nd lighting point, or the person wiring the place ran out of T&E!
There are numerous ways to achieve two way switching, and it is most certainly possible to wire it with 2x 3C&E at the rose from 2x switches, along with a feed in at the rose. It all depends upon who wired it the layout of the building etc. 

Doc H.

heres a diagram of how i think it may be needing to be connected hope that helps.
Very kind! Thank you (though for some reason I don't have the privileges to view it!) - and to everyone for their replies. I will try in the morning with the aid of natural light & sobriety!

Very kind! Thank you (though for some reason I don't have the privileges to view it!) - and to everyone for their replies. I will try in the morning with the aid of natural light & sobriety!
Natural light is not essential, artificial light can be used. But I would certainly agree a lack of Sobriety could be a major hazard! Let us know how you get on. You need ten posts to be able to access some images and post images yourself. 

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes please let us know if it works.

We can only speculate as to why he used 3 core for the switch drop. It might be because there was a possibility of some other extra light or 2 way switching in the future, or it could be the sparky was running short of 2 core so used 3 core instead.

Is it a bathroom my any chance?  could have been to allow a separate switch for a bathroom fan.

Thanks very much - the working solution was very close to ProDave's, but required Black to be paired with Blue on Neutral.

And no, it isn't in a bathroom. I believe the installer may've been confused and thought there was going to be another light on the same circuit.

Thanks for letting us know.  

There's something very unusual about the way he has wired it, but the main thing is you have got it working again.