I rang up MK technical department today and this is what they said.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Sworld

Electrical Technician
Reaction score
When MK's technical department were asked if a double socket was rated at 13A or 26A they answered as follows:

MK state that when they product test their double sockets they apply 100% of full load to one socket and 50% to the other. ie They use 20A to test the double socket but only for their inhouse product quality control.

They also say that you may plug in two loads that bring the total load on that double socket to above 13A but a diversity factor must be part of that. Continous loads of greater than 13A would damage the socket.

When asked 'could two 3kW boilers could be 'theoreticaly' be plugged into a double 13A socket?' I was told no, the socket cannot handle that load as there would be no diversity present if both were turned on at the same time.

I phoned them some years ago when I found two of their RCD sockets fitted next to each other , back of a stage in a club for the amps.

When I reset one socket the other one reset itself. kept trying it , happened every time. I imagined the possibility of someone working on equip. plugged in to the 1st one when the 2nd one was reset.

MK did'nt believe me, the club didn't care, so I took one of 'em off and blanked it. Yes I know it wasn't my place to do that but felt better . ]:)

Sometimes you try your best and find that you're on your own .

Deke

seems a con to me 32a mcb 2 13a loads but socket cant take it

You would not put socket in for immersion heater would you. You would put in switch spur. 13 amp sockets are designed for 13 amps for short periods not 2 x 13 amps.

Batty

As the issue of diversity has been mentioned, one has to consider the chance of 2 high current (and constant) loads being connected at the same time.

As already discussed about 20A(4.8KW) for a modest period , seems a 'workable' loading (but not too long).

It might be worth thinking about the type of loads, more so than the current caperbilities of a double 13A socket.

Don

Ahhhh..... What would happen if you ran the circuit as a 20A Radial?

I think what a certain socket manufacturer mentioned here really meant was ' As our sockets are now made in China using the cheapest sourced materials and the least amount of copper we can get away with i would not risk it on this tat'.

yes, second that too. Just bought a Wylex switchfuse - two out of four screws missing and two screws of different lengths used to secure cover.

Ahhhh..... What would happen if you ran the circuit as a 20A Radial?
Never mind 20A radial, wot about 32A 4mm radials. We have been told by the boffins at the IEEE that radial ccts are much safer than ring ccts and that they would like to make changes to the British Tradition of using ring ccts and be more in harmony with Europe.

This would mean, there could easily be more than 13A passing through the terminals of the first socket all day long. A socket that is not being used as a socket is to all intents and purposes a JB, but most people will use a 30A JB.

It was said on an earlier thread that only 16A may be flowing in either side of the leg(if it was perfectly balanced) but this does not stand for radial ccts.

But why are they not rated at 32A anyway?

Never mind 20A radial, wot about 32A 4mm radials. We have been told by the boffins at the IEEE that radial ccts are much safer than ring ccts and that they would like to make changes to the British Tradition of using ring ccts and be more in harmony with Europe.This would mean, there could easily be more than 13A passing through the terminals of the first socket all day long. A socket that is not being used as a socket is to all intents and purposes a JB, but most people will use a 30A JB.

It was said on an earlier thread that only 16A may be flowing in either side of the leg(if it was perfectly balanced) but this does not stand for radial ccts.

But why are they not rated at 32A anyway?
Because most wired in 2.5mm which can only take 24A?

It's very different using a termial to join 2 bits of 4.0mm than passing that sort of current accross an accessory!

Because most wired in 2.5mm which can only take 24A?
they are fed off a 32A MCB and JBs are not exclusive to socket ccts.

It doesnt matter wot MOST are wired in.....and 24A wots that from?

Because most wired in 2.5mm which can only take 24A?It's very different using a termial to join 2 bits of 4.0mm than passing that sort of current accross an accessory!
Nothing passes through the JB as you put it like an accessory, but they are still rated at 30A so why not a socket or anything else fitted to the cct?

Do you insist on using 30A jbs on ring mains or do you think 20A is ok?

Nothing passes through the JB as you put it like an accessory, but they are still rated at 30A so why not a socket or anything else fitted to the cct?Do you insist on using 30A jbs on ring mains or do you think 20A is ok?
I would imagine it came from when circuits were controlled by 30 amp rewireables or cartridge fuses. I would not think that an extra 2 amps would make much of a difference.

Batty

Oh yes I always use 30a jb on power circuits.

they are fed off a 32A MCB and JBs are not exclusive to socket ccts.It doesnt matter wot MOST are wired in.....and 24A wots that from?
My understanding was 2.5mm T&E could take MAX of 24A. I know it varies with method of installation etc. Hence the lower MCB/RCBO/Fuse rating of a radial vs a ring!

Nothing passes through the JB as you put it like an accessory, but they are still rated at 30A so why not a socket or anything else fitted to the cct?Do you insist on using 30A jbs on ring mains or do you think 20A is ok?
Not that I'm suposed to but I used a 30A JB to add to our socket radial cct. What's the point in using a 20A?

FFS if you used a 100A JB to wire your doorbell it wouldn't do any harm. You can't exactly 'over do' it:|

No one is getting excitied by me charging two mobile phones from a double socket............. ;)