I rang up MK technical department today and this is what they said.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. The figure of 24A is open to interpretation - can be as high as 27A. But that doesn`t alter the facts, with which you are correct:)

On a side note, regarding this ring cct on a 32A. A recent poster said there would only be equal current flowing in the legs, if the ring were "perfectly balanced".

If I could, in all seriousness, have an explaination of that comment, I would be very grateful.....?)

I would imagine it came from when circuits were controlled by 30 amp rewireables or cartridge fuses. I would not think that an extra 2 amps would make much of a difference.Batty

Oh yes I always use 30a jb on power circuits.
oohhhhh! I use tape joints!:|Blushing:D

A recent poster said there would only be equal current flowing in the legs, if the ring were "perfectly balanced".
But only at the centre of the ring (equi-distant from the Consumer Unit)

Don

No. The figure of 24A is open to interpretation - can be as high as 27A. But that doesn`t alter the facts, with which you are correct:)On a side note, regarding this ring cct on a 32A. A recent poster said there would only be equal current flowing in the legs, if the ring were "perfectly balanced".

If I could, in all seriousness, have an explaination of that comment, I would be very grateful.....?)
Its that ohms law bloke making an appearance again.

If there were more sockets to one side of the ring than the other, then more current would go down that side. This is due to the r1 to the db being smaller than the r1 to the db on the other side at that particular point.

So if there were sockets spread at equal distances along the ring and current taken from the sockets on one side of the ring mirrors the other side, then it will be perfectly balanced, otherwise NO you will not get equal currents going down both sides of the ring at 16A as someone said.

p.s. KME do you really have to keep patting mr Sworld on the head.