Im a virgin

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed mate.

I knew you jesteth; maybe others might think you had your serious head on (I wouldn`t tell `em you mislaid it!)

Yes, he`s asking. However, looking at his other post, in connection with this, really scares me as to the level of knowledge peeps are being sent out with.

It would be akin to someone showing me piccies of thin / normal / overweight (obese, but I don`t want to traumatise the poor darlings ;) ) cats & dogs, then giving me a vet`s qual. You`d not be happy with that, I`d warrant?

Hi GuysWhat size does the T&E to the C/U from the ip rated box :Chave to be?
This sort of question is similar to..

How many seats does my new car need to have?

1/ young couple no kids = 2 seater

2/ young family 2 kids = 4 seater

3/ young free & single petrol head speed demon = 1 seater AKA motorbike!

4/ old git loads kids = seven seater. AKA the Admins or Spec loc & his tribe!

So back to your cable....

When you did your electrical qualifications do you remember

• you need to start your design by working out what load the circuit has to carry? e.g. Wots plugged in the far end? how much power does it need?
  • Sort out the rating of the overload protective device you need to supply these items without it keep tripping every time they plug something in!
  • Consider the cable installation method and correction factors.
  • Select a cable with a big enough CSA to carry the load current relevant to the installation method.
  • Ensure max volt drop not exceeded with this size of cable for expected load.
  • Double check the shock protection max Zs and time/current thermal constrains so that the cable don't melt before the protective devices operate.

In a nutshell that is the sort of checks you need to do to sort out the sizes of your cables for any circuit...

Did you go over these sort of calcs in your courses?

Have I jogged you memory about some boring calcs you had to do in class?

Or is this something you have never been shown?

:) Guinness

well thanks very much for making me feel better about myself. I will no longer be using this site if all you will do is take the p**s. Of course i did c/f and cable groping but i just wanted to make sure i was doing it right. Thanks again(not)

Sorry if we have upset you, but you have given reason for concern with the type of questions you have asked.

If You have done the calculations for this installation then thats great, maybe it may have been better to have explained that and posted up the info for others to confirm or advise on.

We are all on the learning curve somewhere or other and want to assist, but we can't read minds and can only make comments on infomation supplied.

well thanks very much for making me feel better about myself. I will no longer be using this site if all you will do is take the p**s. Of course i did c/f and cable groping but i just wanted to make sure i was doing it right. Thanks again(not)
leccy man, i am to a 4 week wonder, and have found this site invaluble, starting out is very scary when you first qualify, even more so when you have all the papers but no experiance.

no one is taking the urine. we dont do that here.

if you want good advice its best to give all of the details, if you have done your calcs etc....post them for confirmation and some one will check them for you. i have learnd to give all the info possible about the job in question to get the best reply.

and beware of the darkside, they really are aholes!

I just hope Leckyman was not a 4 year apprentice with the comments i have read on this thread

if he was i am going to rant big time !!!!!!