Immersion heater off 13A plug

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wc1966

Reaction score
Is the following safe?

3m 1.5mm core into 3kw immersion heater? The heater is set on a timer switch to operate maximum 1 hour per day, seems to get a little warm as you'd expect. Are these timer switches a risk running at high load, there's a lot of crap on the market, any recommendation?

I see there are extension leads on the market with 2.5mm core, would I be better to get one of these and use the cable? Cheers

Is the following safe?

3m 1.5mm core into 3kw immersion heater?
It should be ok, it can carry much more than the 12 amps or so needed for the immersion.

The heater is set on a timer switch to operate maximum 1 hour per day, seems to get a little warm as you'd expect.
It will depend on the quality and the rating of the switch, if it's getting warm youre wasting energy.

Are these timer switches a risk running at high load, there's a lot of crap on the market, any recommendation?
Dont buy cheap, buy good quality, I've used some from Screwfix which have been good on a 16 amp load, no heating etc, they dont have relays inside them either, all the switch is electronic which helps reliability and efficiency

I see there are extension leads on the market with 2.5mm core, would I be better to get one of these and use the cable? Cheers
Not necessary, though, if I was doing the job I would have wired it in 2.5mm2 from the start.

It should be ok, it can carry much more than the 12 amps or so needed for the immersion.

It will depend on the quality and the rating of the switch, if it's getting warm youre wasting energy.

Dont buy cheap, buy good quality, I've used some from Screwfix which have been good on a 16 amp load, no heating etc, they dont have relays inside them either, all the switch is electronic which helps reliability and efficiency

Not necessary, though, if I was doing the job I would have wired it in 2.5mm2 from the start.
Actually it was the cable getting a little warm.

In terms of the switch I'm just using a mechanical one. I was trying my Givenergy smart switch but it seems a bit flakey, can't get the schedule function to work and I've had the timer crash the app. With the former there's no risk of it getting left on for an extended period

Yes heat resistant cable is a must, 1.5.or 2.5, the choice is yours(if its an extra long run 3m+ then 2.5 might be better,
but I would use a 20A double pole switch or a switched fused connection unit, instead of a plug and socket even the good one fail, I have seen so many fail due to a poor connection between the plug and socket ( back in the 50's I think it was common to fit a plug and socket in the airing cupboard )

Latest posts