immersion heater reset button.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badfish

Reaction score
Hi chaps has anyone got any ideas as to why an immersion heater would need to keep being reset.

many thanks

Iain.

Huh apparently this is the second new thermostat in the last 3 months. Don't make em like they used to eh. :(

I am a doughnut,when I said thermostat I meant element. This is an immersion heater that is the only way of heating water at the moment but it is not on all the time.

Looks like its going to be element number 3 then. See if that will last more than a month.

Could be the tank is well 'furred' up. Could cause the element to overheat in places and burn out.

is the tank getting airlocked?

what type of immersion is it, side/top/bottom/lucy etc

what type of stat are you fitting?

how is it wired/connected,

we need some help here.

Sorry chaps I myself have not fitted anything it was just a question I got asked. As far as I know the element goes in at the top. No idea what element it is and as far as I can gather it is a 16 amp radial from board to fused spur or switch not sure which.

It is the little button on top of stat of the element that needs to be reset every so often.

Last edited by a moderator:
first thing you need to do is find out what type and length the element is and make sure the stat is suitable for it, and the correct length,

some side entry stats are not suitable for top entry and vice versa,

Lucy stats are usually unique, and nothing else will work correctly, and they wont work properly anywhere else either,

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:18 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:17 ----------

Sorry chaps I myself have not fitted anything it was just a question I got asked. As far as I know the element goes in at the top. No idea what element it is and as far as I can gather it is a 16 amp radial from board to fused spur or switch not sure which.It is the little button on top of stat of the element that needs to be reset every so often.
safety overheat,

check the stat is the right length, and the right entry position.

and set at a sensible temperature,

Did a little job for my Mum some while ago...new tank

with lagging plus heater and tankside thermostat.

Noticed the control stat did not have the rating for the

current in the heater so I wired it via a small contactor

block. The tankside stat has a maximum setting of about

60/65 Cel.

1. Ensure stat is the correct length for the element so sensing takes place at the correct position in the tank.

2. Confirm the element is wired in series with the stat. (some plumbers not concerned how it is wired, so long as it heats)

3. Ensure the stat is working. Turn it down to the lowest setting and confirm it switches off the elememt (Listen for click)

4. Remove all wiring connections in the heater and stat and check for overheated or loose connection. The cut-out contacts are not designed for continuous switching and may become pitted and cause local overheating and make it trip.

Latest posts