IN the real world ...............

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

androiduk2002

Reaction score
Just wondering if the real world follows some of the guide lines laid down at college ?

1) make sure the earth is always the longest wire

2) If the terminal allows always double the end of the cable over.

Just interested in what really happens.

Thanks in advance.

2) NO. Thats a hangover fromm when accessories had crap screws and couldnt grip cables properly. Also try getting 3 bent over 2.5mm cables in an accessory.

Sounds to me like your referring to a plug. If so the Earth wire should be the longest in case the cable gets pulled out whilst on meaning the earth(longest) will be pulled out last and should be doubled over i think to fill the whole terminal up. If im wrong just ignore me but thats the way i was reading your post.

HTH

Matt

I tend to double over a single solid 1.5 at the board, not pinching it though, just enough bend to get it in the MCB.

I tend to double over a single solid 1.5 at the board, not pinching it though, just enough bend to get it in the MCB.
More of a loop?

Just wondering if the real world follows some of the guide lines laid down at college ?1) make sure the earth is always the longest wire

2) If the terminal allows always double the end of the cable over.

Just interested in what really happens.

Thanks in advance.
Perhaps most important with 1mm T&E, in particular with a single cable connection.

Don

2) NO. Thats a hangover fromm when accessories had crap screws and couldnt grip cables properly. Also try getting 3 bent over 2.5mm cables in an accessory.
As I did say "if the terminal allows "

Sounds to me like your referring to a plug. If so the Earth wire should be the longest in case the cable gets pulled out whilst on meaning the earth(longest) will be pulled out last and should be doubled over i think to fill the whole terminal up. If im wrong just ignore me but thats the way i was reading your post.HTH

Matt
We have been told on any connection be it lights or ring to always leave the earth slightly longer than the Line or Neutral hence why I ask the question after looking in my consumer unit X(

We have been told on any connection be it lights or ring to always leave the earth slightly longer than the Line or Neutral hence why I ask the question after looking in my consumer unit X(
Of course it's good practice.

The Godfather

Not heard that one before.

I guess this only applies to accessories that can be pulled away from the fixed wireing (like a switch or socket) rather than in a CCU so its not the first wire to get pulled out.

I guess this only applies to accessories that can be pulled away from the fixed wireing (like a switch or socket) rather than in a CCU so its not the first wire to get pulled out.
We have been told on any connection , even on the CCU this is why i ask the questions , I can see why its not as important on the CCU because most cable should be clipped somewhere, I guess it just for the added at no extra cost safety of having the cpc last to be able to be pulled out.

We were told, to leave each conductor long enough to reach any position in the board, in case it was decided to move them to a different terminal.

CCU = cooker connection unit, CU = consumer unit. ;)

As mentioned, sounds like moveable accessories. I always try and make the earth the longest on anything that can be moved or pulled. CU's I try and make everything reach every terminal within reason. The only time I will not do as above is on accessory\CU swaps where I'd rather it reached where it needed with no joins. If it needs moving it can be extended then if required.

According to whom?
Well, me for a start.

I realise that CCU stands for customer consumer unit but the more commonly used term is consumer unit, with the abbreviation CU. Also helps avoid confusion as we already have CCU for cooker control unit.