Inspection and Testing Work

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdes

Reaction score
hi, i'm currently doing the 2391-10 course and i've just been thinking about getting into testing and inspection installations and what I would actually be allowed to do.

Without being an approved electrician with the likes of NIC or whoever, could I even perform PIR's and then the certificate be accepted by who ever needs one ie. home insurances companies?

if I wanted to go self employed and just carry out PIR's for instance would I have to be apart of a scheme operator?? If not how else would i go about it?

how I understand it at the minute without being approved I couldn't carry out any tests. I'd have to get out somebody else to do it.

And does Part P affect any of this?

sorry if this isn't making any sense, but I don't really think the whole system does! so confused!

cheers.

a quick search will find you many threads on the same thing. anyone can give a PIR, just some scams want you reg'd with them for PIR's before you can use their logo. anyone can I&T providing there competent

Being honest, I do T&I but there is not enough to make a living out of it, unless you are ready to sign any job. IMHO the PIR is not the issue, the problem is with extensions where the electrical work was done by some one who is not qualified or allowed (for any reason) to sign the EIC. If you follow the rules; if you were not involved during the time that the installation was carried out you can provide only a PIR and a PIR this is not good for the completion certificate for the extension, the council wants an EIC.

I heard many times "do not worry about the charges, just give the certificate". I will never do it but some one does and makes a lot of money...

If you can, I think that it will be a good idea to register because the electrical work, although not yet, I believe will become like CORGI (or gas safe, as it is called now) and people will not employ you if you are not registered... not to mention insurance companies...

Have you done much testing? if you have you will know what its like, if you haven't you will probably find out how boring and frustrating it can be, especially in older premises, the amount of sockets I have taken off to find a fault too have half the wall come with it, good luck you may enjoy it but to me it just another job that has to be done CJS

The only way you would gain full time employment doing testing would mean you getting contracts for insurance companies, landlords, building maintenance contracts and the like.

You must have a thourough knowledge of the type of installations tested, and a sixth sense as to where diy joe ran his flex from a three phase motor to a socket for the kettle.

Have you done much testing? if you have you will know what its like, if you haven't you will probably find out how boring and frustrating it can be, especially in older premises, the amount of sockets I have taken off to find a fault too have half the wall come with it, good luck you may enjoy it but to me it just another job that has to be done CJS
The good thing about old premises when testing is that there aren't any rcds so testing is simple, and the other thing is remedial work.