Inspection and Testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fran2002

Reaction score
When it comes to compiling a report, I never understand what the "details of the installation covered by this report" is actually asking for. Can anyone please advise?

Thanks, Fran

When it comes to compiling a report, I never understand what the "details of the installation covered by this report" is actually asking for. Can anyone please advise?

Thanks, Fran

Either ask the competent person who has undertaken the report..

Or buy/borrow a copy of guidance note 3...
Read Chapter 3... and Chapter 5...
Which should cover the basics of what & where you are going to inspect & test... And how to fill out the forms..

🍺

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will never ask a question again here after those unhelpful responses 😄

Not sure which ones you think are unhelpful - its just the OP hasn't really given any back ground or context for the question so its hard to establish where they are coming from, or what the confusion is?

Would it hurt to write a reply to the question based on what is in it rather than saying to look elsewhere?

I have been filling in these forms for decades and still question whether I'm writing the 'right' information in various boxes. Assessors have one opinion, clients another, written publications sometimes another.

For years under 'details of an installation' I would write long winded details. Then it was pointed out that I only needed to write eg 'semi-detached house' !

Many forms have been filled in too briefly so in future are of little use to owners and contractors.

However in this section Fran, depending on the design of form you're using of course, you only need tick some boxes and write the nature of the building the installation is in. The 'extent' section is where you should write comprehensive information.

Hope that waffle helps 😃

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will never ask a question again here after those unhelpful responses 😄

????
Would it hurt to write a reply to the question based on what is in it rather than saying to look elsewhere?
Assessors have one opinion, clients another, written publications sometimes another.

????

As previously mentioned, various persons can have differing opinions...
So, what is wrong with pointing out a relevant industry standard document,
(available at most good book shops or public libraries)

And also specifying which chapters & sections are applicable to answer the question at hand?
Including chapter 5 that actually gives written examples of how to complete the various certificates and reports!!

Or are we expected to give up our unpaid voluntary time copying out vast swathes of text for each and every person who posts a question on here, that is already answered in an existing publication????

[ If you trawl back through the bowels of the forum you will find numerous first-time posts from members who give no detail about their electrical background, but just want a free homework answering service. ]

I stand by my early post..
Or buy/borrow a copy of guidance note 3...
Read Chapter 3... and Chapter 5...
Which should cover the basics of what & where you are going to inspect & test... And how to fill out the forms..

🍺

I have been filling in these forms for decades and still question whether I'm writing the 'right' information in various boxes. Assessors have one opinion, clients another, written publications sometimes another.

For years under 'details of an installation' I would write long winded details. Then it was pointed out that I only needed to write eg 'semi-detached house' !

Many forms have been filled in too briefly so in future are of little use to owners and contractors.

However in this section Fran, depending on the design of form you're using of course, you only need tick some boxes and write the nature of the building the installation is in. The 'extent' section is where you should write comprehensive information.

Hope that waffle helps 😃
Thanks brummydave!

Certainly a more helpful response to the question I was asking. You make the point about long winded answers, and 'right' information, which is exactly what I was referring to.

Assessors and publications certainly offer differing opinions, and I find some of the language in the publications to be somewhat convoluted.

Your 'waffle' has been most helpful, thanks again.

Thanks brummydave!

Certainly a more helpful response to the question I was asking. You make the point about long winded answers, and 'right' information, which is exactly what I was referring to.

Assessors and publications certainly offer differing opinions, and I find some of the language in the publications to be somewhat convoluted.

Your 'waffle' has been most helpful, thanks again.

Thats all well and good but you didn't provide any context to the question you posed?

Are you a student or trainee?

Inspection and testing - like doing an EICR or an installation certificate?

Thats all well and good but you didn't provide any context to the question you posed?

Are you a student or trainee?

Inspection and testing - like doing an EICR or an installation certificate?
Surely the context would be the 'report' part of the question?

What difference does it make what background I have?

now you’re being evasive

to get the optimism answer if you framed your question with some context, then we could probably give you a more rounded and helpful answer😊
Brummydave didn't seem to have that problem.

I get the sense you're a bit of a condescending keyboard warrior, with very little better to do.

On an EICR I tend to state 'all of the site address listed in Section........'
If it is part of the installation say just the kitchen I would alter my original statement to be more precise.

I read with interest but by the time I got to the end I forgot the start. "details of the installation covered by this report" The answer is simple EIC what have you installed / EICR what are you testing. Both should clearly state what you have done because when it turns to bite you then this is your protection

Latest posts