Installing A New Light Switch (Connections)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybon

Reaction score
Hi

I know this is going to be a simple question for any electrican, but I'll admit as the first time attempting to change a light switch as DIY, I don't quite know what to expect.  (Disclaimer, yes, I am observing all safety precautions etc)

In trying to change a light switch, the connections appear slightly different, so I don't quite know what should go where.  (And I don't have the skills/knowledge to test the wires to find out what's what).

The existing light switch has C, 1, 2 connectors, and a ground wire which plugs in to the side of the switch.

The new switch has; L, 1, (blank, which I'm assuming is 2), N.

So, I assumed C=L, 1,2=1,2, and N for ground.  But, that doesn't work.  There is a curved line with the arrow through it on 1 for the new switch, and C for the old, so that is confusing me as well.  And the colours of the wires are black,white, brown, but I understand that doesn't really mean much, depending on the elctrician (although, this is a newbuild from 2 years ago).

This light has 2 switches, so I understand one of those wires is turning off the other switch/circuit or something like that, but, again I'm not clear on what should go where.

If anyone can help, would appreciate it - will be holding off until I understand this further.

Thanks

James

You had a two way switch before and it sounds like you have a one way switch now. It won't work.

Pics would be good.

Concur that it sounds like a remote dimmer or PIR "occupancy" switch.

Your "white" wire is actually grey.

We need to know where the wires go on the existing switch - I`d guess that brown is at the top ©, and each of the others go into L1 and L2 ?

I gather your new one has 3 terminals too, but marked L, N, 1 ? If I`m right with both of these, then see below. If I`ve got it wrong, ignore me & give us pics of existing and new switches (from the back)

The existing switch is one of two switches that work the same light? If so, you`ve got the wrong type of switch with your new one! ( needs to be "2 way")

The existing switch has 3 wires; ALL of which are LIVE wires - plus the earth wire. By the sound of it, your new switch wants a neutral supply - which you don`t have....oops!

Does that help?

Unless its one of those touch dimmers that use a retractive switch for the second 2 way and all intermediates.   Job last year had about 20 of them....doddle when you know what to do, the first one was a bit of a thrower.    Live and Sw to first.  Live and retractive [R terminal] to all others.    GET Ultimate if that helps

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I you all have hit on the right direction - i.e., it is currently a 2-way switch as there are 2 switches that turn on this light, and I'm replacing just one of them.  Thing, is, I don't need it to be a 2-way switch, as I'm happy not having the second one.

And Steptoe et al, you're correct that this is a remote controlled dimmer.   (Which is one reason why I don't need the 2 light switches anymore, I will be able to connect a "satellite" switch that connects remotely to control this one).

Picture of old dimmer swtich

http://temp-share.com/show/HKdPSz1CA

Picture of new dimmer switch

http://temp-share.com/show/dPf3g3oNW

I'll also give a link to the data sheet of the new switch if you're curious for more details.

http://www.vitrum.com/sites/vitrum.com/files/sezione_download/SCHEDE_ENG_ThinkSimple_4_0.pdf

It sounds like I need to stop using one of those wires to convert it to a 1-way switch...  but that leaves me with 1) do I need a neutral wire? and 2) what do I do with the earth wire?

The switch is pretty much all plastic, and a glass facade, so I imagine they don't need an earthed wire then?

Thanks again for your replies !

first of all...earth, has the new faceplat got an earth terminal? if yes the connect it there if not then connect it into the metal back box.

the switch you are changing has strappers in, can you take a photo of the cables in the other switch, by the looks of if it you do need a N and if your lucky the light could be looped at the switch.

As you have no neutral you will either have to...

1/ use the 2-wire configuration option off the data sheet..

or

2/ modify the rest of the circuit wiring, (Maybe at the light fitting or the other switch) to convert your three core cable to a

Live in, live out and Neutral.

BUT..

exactly what you do will depend on how the cables run to or from the other switch / light...

, by the looks of if it you do need a N and if your lucky the light could be looped at the switch.

The data sheet shows it can be wired with Neutral only at light, not at switch....

but as you say we need to see the other switch wiring...  and/or possibly the light fitting!!!

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I you all have hit on the right direction - i.e., it is currently a 2-way switch as there are 2 switches that turn on this light, and I'm replacing just one of them.  Thing, is, I don't need it to be a 2-way switch, as I'm happy not having the second one.

And Steptoe et al, you're correct that this is a remote controlled dimmer.   (Which is one reason why I don't need the 2 light switches anymore, I will be able to connect a "satellite" switch that connects remotely to control this one).

Picture of old dimmer swtich

http://temp-share.com/show/HKdPSz1CA

Picture of new dimmer switch

http://temp-share.com/show/dPf3g3oNW

I'll also give a link to the data sheet of the new switch if you're curious for more details.

http://www.vitrum.com/sites/vitrum.com/files/sezione_download/SCHEDE_ENG_ThinkSimple_4_0.pdf

It sounds like I need to stop using one of those wires to convert it to a 1-way switch...  but that leaves me with 1) do I need a neutral wire? and 2) what do I do with the earth wire?

The switch is pretty much all plastic, and a glass facade, so I imagine they don't need an earthed wire then?

Thanks again for your replies !

So basically you want to convert the old two-way, two switches to just a one way, single remote operation swtich?

So you need to decide what you are going to do with the other switch..

Leave it in circuit still live?

Or

disconnect and isolate it completely out of the circuit?

To try and add a bit more to your options, we need to know how the existing switches are wired...

At the moment, from only seeing the one light switch, we cannot fully establish this info..

Rather than typing loads, I have added a quick sketch of two options..

I am guessing yours is wired as per no 1..

and you are at the switch that does not connect directly back to the light or supply.

TEMP LIGHT.JPG

If it is wired as no 2..

then as long as the joint is accessible it would be easy to remove the other switch completely and just change your three core to become  Perm L, Switch L & N.....

Go have a poke about in the other switch and /or light..

and let us know what you find...

and what you want to do with the other switch..

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts