Insurance

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this why VW's now look like a mobile disco when going round a roundabout? I've got no idea where they are going or what they are doing with every single light flashing on and off as they go round, thought they were faulty at first, then saw several doing it so assumed it was some stupid manufacturer specific thing. Should have known it would be a government thing. This country is run by morons.

basically, some manufacturers put the bright DRL so close to the indicator, that they now need to turn off the DRL when indicating so you can see the indicator flashing

Well, that is bizarre because one of my pet hates is the fact you can't see indicators nowadays. So making cars safer has now made them more dangerous? Well done. Just makes you want to drive into people on purpose. I hate being alive sometimes (all times).

some of the points are genuine, eg silver cars are harder to see in a mist / road spray, but mostly you can expect no loyalty for remaining with the same company. On top of this the change to more extreme weather has hit insurance companies hard, so they will be/ are keen to recover costs. As with all things I change insurer every year, but I have also taken to using an insurance broker, it's much easier and they keep coming up trumps on costs.

None of them are that genuine as they all isolate single issues to take your example all cars without lights on are difficult to see in low visibility but to use the lights involves the interaction of the person behind the wheel whether it is the headlights or the parking lights they choose to use depends on how visible they want to be and how much of a risk to themselves and other road users they are

As a statistician told me years ago we can make the figures say anything we want to justify something and that is all the insurance companies are doing

Well, that is bizarre because one of my pet hates is the fact you can't see indicators nowadays. So making cars safer has now made them more dangerous? Well done. Just makes you want to drive into people on purpose. I hate being alive sometimes (all times).
One of the problems is how car designers and makers are allowed to circumvent the laws to make things look "pretty".

Now let's say you are fitting rear fog lights to your old Ford Anglia, now the Road Traffic Lighting Regulations, states something like, "they must be no brighter than 21Watts, must be no further in than 100 mm from the edge of the vehicle, no lower than 300mm from the floor and if only one is fitted it must be on the offside of the vehicle"

Now look at modern cars, 1 foglight would look unsightly on the offside, 2, one on either side would increase cost, so, let's stick one in the middle and sod the rules. The annoying thing with this is they get away with it, other countries enforce their rules and that's why certain cars have/don't have certain features, because they're either legal or illegal in the countries where the majority of sales are made.

If you took your Ford Anglia for it's mot with one central foglight that you had fitted then it would fail the test, however take your new car with the one fitted by the maker and it will pass, it's nothing to do with laws changing, merely to do with a lack of cojones by people who run the country.

I could quote chapter and verse but I won't bore you all, however think about this, the law states that no screen showing imaging except for navigation or rear camera's shall be visible from the drivers seat, so how come a lot of new cars have big screens that you can watch youtube and the like on, as you drive down the road?

er... fog light is between centre and offside, so 1 in the centre is fine. its also 250mm from floor, not 300. there is no mention of 'no brighter than 21 watts' either

so, they are no circumventing the laws to make them look pretty, they are fully within the law that you dont know, yet say they dont comply

i suggest you try rearing road vehicle lighting regulations, schedule 11 part 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I throw in two of my motoring pet hates here  ...just for the hell of it ?

1)  If , say , 30 emergency vehicles , Fire , Police , Ambulance are attending a major incident  anywhere in Britain , is it absolutely necessary for all 30 of them to have their high intensity emergency  lights  flashing for the next 6 hours , bathing the scene in a  stroboscopic nightmare .?  

2)  And as I've said before , while a pick-up truck is on the roadway winching up a broken down car I can see the purpose of his orange strobe flashers ...but once he has set off with the vehicle on board  it is just another truck on the road ...big deal , it has a car on the back , but why is it necessary to still have the strobes going until he gets back to his depot .         Risk is over , its just another truck .

I suppose its like what I remember seeing on local TV  some years ago ...... Presenter says the local Fire Brigade are fitting some free battery Smoke Detectors for elderly folk .   No problem with that  but the following film clip showed two Fire vehicles arriving ....one with the Great Big Important Fire Chief bedacked in medals and such ......then a fireman in full uniform , great big boots , big yellow helmet with perspex visor down , ear muffs & gloves ....goes up one step & screws a smoke detector to the ceiling . 

Can I throw in two of my motoring pet hates here  ...just for the hell of it ?

1)  If , say , 30 emergency vehicles , Fire , Police , Ambulance are attending a major incident  anywhere in Britain , is it absolutely necessary for all 30 of them to have their high intensity emergency  lights  flashing for the next 6 hours , bathing the scene in a  stroboscopic nightmare .?  

2)  And as I've said before , while a pick-up truck is on the roadway winching up a broken down car I can see the purpose of his orange strobe flashers ...but once he has set off with the vehicle on board  it is just another truck on the road ...big deal , it has a car on the back , but why is it necessary to still have the strobes going until he gets back to his depot .         Risk is over , its just another truck .

I suppose its like what I remember seeing on local TV  some years ago ...... Presenter says the local Fire Brigade are fitting some free battery Smoke Detectors for elderly folk .   No problem with that  but the following film clip showed two Fire vehicles arriving ....one with the Great Big Important Fire Chief bedacked in medals and such ......then a fireman in full uniform , great big boots , big yellow helmet with perspex visor down , ear muffs & gloves ....goes up one step & screws a smoke detector to the ceiling . 

They still do...

Turn up in the appliance in full ceremonial garms just to put up a smoke  alarm.

The  only difference is they don't use screws anymore, they use tubes of sticks like ****! :slap

Latest posts