Interesting Setup

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltonsparky

Reaction score
A mate that lives a fair distance from me was asking some questions about his electrical installation, not being able to look at it in person I asked him to take some pictures, this is what I received...

the supply...

isolater_zps4c769938.jpg

The other end of that cable...

consumerunit2_zps30599d40.jpg

and coming out of the side of the CU...

consumerunit1_zps7c48ad4b.jpg

Some further investigation was recommended.

Yeah I thought SWA. It's hard to judge off the pics but I'd guessed at around a still too small 16/10mm on the basis that someone couldn't be so stupid to feed it via a 6mm cable... but then again  :eek:

Is that an NICEIC sticker I can see...

niceic_zps225f58df.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like 10mm SWA

Shame he couldn't be Rsed to connect the SWA at either end, or even attempt to use a proper gland.

I would change the isolator switch for a switch fuse.

A bit of green&yellow on the earth wouldn't do any harm either.

Why was the supply moved? that's a meter board underneath the CU, so the supply and meter used to be there. So it looks like the supply was moved at some point. In preparation for a rewire and relocation of the CU?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hadn't noticed it was an old meter board underneath. Not sure on the particulars of the installation or how far away the supply is from the CU.

Agreed it needs a switch fuse and the armoured being upgraded.

I predict there being no main bonding installed either or if it is it being majorly undersized.

Latest posts