Is it worth contesting?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc

Reaction score
I had my 302 practical exam today, and passed with a credit. The only reason I didn't get a distinction is because my assessor had to prompt me to continuity test the main earth to the MET.

I'd already tested the water & gas, screwed the cover back on the MET, walked over to the desk to record my results and left the tester there. I knew I'd left something out but nerves meant I wasn't thinking straight. I went back to the board and looked at it for a few seconds. My assessor came over and said "you've forgotten the main earth." I didn't ask for his help, he just gave me it.

Now when he gave me my result I was just pleased to have passed, but on the way home I felt that I could and should have done better.

Is it worth me contesting it? Has anyone ever done anything similar and if so what was the outcome? I know there are one or two lecturers/tutors on here, I'd be interested to hear your insight?

I know it seems petty, but apart from that one thing it was faultless and I've worked my backside off getting to grips with it all. For what it's worth, the assessor was from a training centre and not an employee of the college. Would this have an impact?

Marc.

Credit is good mate. Id be chuffed with that but its your call. Dont think it shows whether you got pass, credit or destinction on the main level 3 cert. It just says Pass or Fail i believe.

Cheers

Hi Marc

Firstly well done for passing the exam .

I had my 302 exam last year and I was nervous although confident . My examiner was registered with the NICEIC and to be fair He put me at my ease to start with . The only problem I had was RCD testing , which turned out to be a faulty RCD but You still feel as though You have missed something especially when the examiner done the RCD test himself but got the same result as me much to my relief !! . As for your situation 301,302 and 303 all count towards your lvl 3 qualification and as long as you get that certificate then I wouldn't bother challenging your examiners decision as He did pass you and I doubt if you would want to do it again . I know I wouldn't . You have done enough to reach the standard to pass and I know how hard it is to do . Guinness

Credit is good mate. Id be chuffed with that but its your call. Dont think it shows whether you got pass, credit or destinction on the main level 3 cert. It just says Pass or Fail i believe.Cheers
Yes mate there is no grade on the final certificate just successful in passing .

Thanks Matty & Megaohm. I am chuffed with a credit but it really should have been a distinction; I know at the end of the year it's irrelevant, but (long story short) I started 5 or 6 weeks into the term & my tutors took a gamble on me by letting me in so late. I'd like to prove to them that I was worth the gamble.

Megaohm; I had similar today. Tried testing an RCBO, no power to the load side! It was one of those Square D (I think) push-fit RCBOs, and because the load terminals are so small I kept bringing it off it's connectors trying to get the probes in. Then the RCD tester itself failed to trip anything at 0 degrees!

I'd been told (last week) to measure the Zs on the ring & garage, and calculate the rest. I asked my assessor which ones he'd like me to test - my thinking being that he wants to see certain things from me. His answer was the ones that the BRB wants me to measure, and I should look for them in there. Spent a good 10 minutes looking, only for him to have a quick glance and say something along the lines of "Ahh no, it's not a reg, just something we're taught."

all i did when i got my credit in 302 wasGuinnessGuinnessGuinness:Y:YGuinness:YGuinness :z :coffee:coffee:coffee:coffee

I'd already tested the water & gas, screwed the cover back on the MET, walked over to the desk to record my results and left the tester there. I knew I'd left something out but nerves meant I wasn't thinking straight. I went back to the board and looked at it for a few seconds. My assessor came over and said "you've forgotten the main earth." I didn't ask for his help, he just gave me it.
but if he hadnt of said that, and you didnt remember what you forgot, you may well have failed.

Marc - just don't be greedy. Be pleased with your credit and move on! :D
True, thinking about it now it'd be more hassle than it's worth. I am pleased with it, but will be aiming to go one better in the fault-finding.

Andy - I knew there was something and wouldn't have gone on to test the rest of the installation before I'd remembered, hence why I was stood there looking at it - I see where you're coming from though. It would have been nice of him to give me a bit more time rather than coming in and dropping me down a mark though.

Marc.

Ask yourself this -

Would you rather have a credit due to prompting -

Or no prompt and a possible fail if you did not remember to do the main eart to MET test?

I think you should move on and forget about it after all you said yourself that you knew you had forgotten something which is a good sign that you would have realised without the prompt from your accessor.......I had a very similar experience Where I tested all the Earths even making sure that i was seen doing so BUT, at the end when I was told i had passed ( as there's no credits etc,etc just pass or fail ) he said I didn't test one of the earths which i know i had because it was in a right awkward position and killed my knees......Its hard for the accessor to watch everyone as there were 4 of us taking the test at the same time but on different practice boards........ :)

Hi ya

I agree that it may not be worth chasing but there is an appeals proceedure should you wish to go down that route. Discuss your problem with the Assessor and if you are still unhappy then you can discuss it with the Internal Verifiyer (IV) The appeals proceedure should be available at your centre so I suggest you ask for a copy and follow it. You do have nothing to loose but it may just be worth settleing for a credit. The choice is yours

Markysparky