Is wire for new pendant lights recessed enough?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
depends how you read 522.6.201. to make it clearly states it must be 50mm if its within the joist, but makes no reference to depth if its within the plaster
That's why I used words like "suggest" and "prudent"

It mentions above ceilings and under floors. I know that floors take far more of a beating with people treading on loose floorboards etc. and if going over the top of a joist, say in an existing notch, or if you can't drill it because it is not within 0.25 and 0.4 of the span, it would need mechanical protection so that it would not be "liable to be damaged by contact with the floor or ceiling or their fixings". A ceiling would suffer less stress but as I said before it is certainly possible for another skin to be put on, I am also thinking of old lath and plaster ceilings, people often put a layer of plasterboard on to save the mess of pulling an old cracked ceiling down.

Edit; Or RCD it :innocent

Last edited by a moderator:
probably just passed his 5 day course where he was told 'all cables must be protected by an RCD - NIC said so'

Close. I'm an PE Electrical Engineer and 17th ed sparks. I'd say I'd know a thing or two about a thing or two...

Are you just a spammer?

Do you have anything constructive to add or do you just... spam?

Murdoch, I have a feeling a pattern is emerging here. Will you be stalking the rest of my posts? I will be sure to put things in layman's terms if so...

I jehst.

At school PE was climbing bars, ropes, wooden horses and other such physical education stuff!

:coat

:shakehead

I knew that one would be coming  :B-

What's a PE electrical engineer,?

Stands for 'Professional Engineer' mate. Electrical is my field. I didn't fancy the lobotomy for Mechanical Engineering...  :coat

Stands for 'Professional Engineer' mate. Electrical is my field. I didn't fancy the lobotomy for Mechanical Engineering...  :coat
So by your own words you are a "Professional engineer electrical engineer" to coin a phrase that is a bit of a mouthful 

So, what's your letters then,?

Oh, Btw, I'm NOT your mate, I'm nobody's mate,

I may be a drinking associate if you buy, but I'm deffo not your mate,! 

There is no such UK recognised title as PE, that is a USA designation.

In the UK, the professional engineering designations are EngTech, IEng, CEng and Eur Ing.

PE is purely a USA designation as I said, so I am confused.

Being IEng myself and working toward CEng as well as qualified as a spark and several other things, I fail to see where PE comes from.

Is it similar to the NICEIC calling any old numpty with a few quid in their pocket, an Electrician? :slap
Not quite, but it's not a recognised UK designation, it is a professional USA recognition, and would be transferable under the Washington Accord, but would be translated to I or CEng in the UK.