jail? fine? spankie bottom?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
after all the talk about notifying work thought i would ask if anyone has ever read or knows of someone being put up in court for not notifying work to BC? or anyone been made to redo work that was done by bob the builder?

it seems that the rules are out there, and we are the only ones worrying about it!

I HAVE been told by building control to move a smoke detector before he would issue a completion certificate (it was only 295mm away from the light and it should have been 300. Yes he measured it and wouldn't pass it until moved)

So that must class as a spankie bottom.

yep..

its the new build / major extension work that LABC have to come out to anyway to check other stuff.. Glazing, foundations, insulation etc.,..

that they also check the electrics.

or check that someone can self cert the electrics..

If they don't have to come out....

They probably Never Know!!!.

Jail........your joking! unless someone was killed or seriously injured no one gives a monkeys!!

Just finished a PIR, sorry EICR on a domestic property with an extension completed in January 2012. Asked for certs covering new work, IE Consumer unit, new circuits etc. Customer spent 30 mins rummaging and came up with one of MY certs for his rental property down the road! It would seem he never received an electrical cert from LABC or Mr No Spark that came from Bob the Builders Firm.

When Part Pea mentioned, he just muttered about lots of lamps failing since new work and explained he was a bit doubtful about previous sparks capability which is why he asked me for an EICR. Not once did I hear must ask spark for certificate, report to electrical police or I would like to string him up.

So is that a win or Lose? I did get to clear up behind last spark, new work passable - just. Two existing rings incomplete, 10mm tails feeding 3 ovens, electric shower + rest of house. Would have been better to have got the original job and saved

This is a good subject for me and streets at the moment, we recently completed a kitchen job, kitchen fitters came in after installed kick board lighting n under cabinet lighting , gets a phone call. We can't find the switch feed for the under cabinet lighting, so I asks are they part p, gets reply no I'm not, so I says u shudnt be touching the lighting as its a new cct in a special location, job was notified the week before! Spoke to elecsa they want the kitchen fitters details to pass onto building control so they can proceed with prosecution!

I've passed on details/info of 3

• non notified
  • poorly installed
  • not tested
  • not certed

jobs to LBC & one of the customers called NICEIC to complain about a registered contractor who did the work...Not heard a dicky bird about any of them, apart from the customer who reported the contractor...........Nicey were going to track the contractor down with the view of prosocuting for missuse of the logo/name as he was not registered with them, nothing from LABC about the shite work though.

if they havent found the feed, then they havent completed the install, so no chance of prosecution.

The only reason we care about it is we have to find tho money to pay for it.

No one else cares about it.

And that includes those that are supposed to be enforcing it.

Until it gets some teeth it's useless.

I think a lot of customers who have had bad work done know that it is partly their fault. They got Bob from the pub to do the work, cheep, no paper work and he'll do it all for cash.

When it goes wrong, that's when they realise that Bob is not quite the angel they thought he was. But he did them a favour, so they can't complain!

When I was trading a couple of years ago I was with ............. Napit, I only 1 or 2 times done a part p cert for the council usually I just gave them the eic and they gave the the property's the signing off required, so I came to believe they didn't care too much about part p

When I was trading a couple of years ago I was with ............. Napit, I only 1 or 2 times done a part p cert for the council usually I just gave them the eic and they gave the the property's the signing off required, so I came to believe they didn't care too much about part p
What's one of those?

if they havent found the feed, then they havent completed the install, so no chance of prosecution.
thats just it, they did find it in end, and stil managed to balls it up. it not just with the lighting though there other things aswell that theyve deviated from that we have signed off and theyve tampered with.