Joining cables...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo

Reaction score
When youve got a consumer unit to change and lets say you get a few neutrals or earth wires that dont just reach their destination.

What do you do to extend them that few all important inches. And no, stretching them isnt an option.

Just wondering as I know "through crimping" is the preffered method but is it me or do the red/blue/yellow crimps not work as well on solid conductor twin and earth. Better on stranded. Do you use connector blocks? Or is this frowned upon as its not as neat?

Opinions...

If its accessible, then you can use terminal block.

sometimes use crimps. dont normally have a problem with them coming off or anything, but uninsulated crimps seem like a better join

in board changes, neatness isnt always possible

Robbo

Try the pushfit connections. Saves a lot of time they are insulated and won't come loose. Wago make them and some other manufacturers. Paddy probably could find a link.

Batty

just noticed the 6mm after i read the page i linked to myself....

just remember the smaller ones are rated 24A so could be a potential problem

may have to get some 6mm ones at some point to add to my tray

Use through crimps myself, blue and yellow. I must admit that if a neutral won't reach no. 1 terminal , say, it goes in where it does reach rather than crimping, same with the earths. On a recent board change I found I could swop the earth and neutral bars over to make them reach.

Deke

I must admit that if a neutral won't reach no. 1 terminal , say, it goes in where it does reach rather than crimping, same with the earths.Deke
Me too... although I always use terminal block where links are required, anyone else noticed the threads in terminal block have started stripping now too?? Don't get me started!! Will have to check out these push fit ones.

I also must agree that some of my replacements db's have not been the prettiest of installations.

Are these push fit connectors able to pull the cable back out agian if you need to separate or is it once connected that is it.

wago's you have to twist and pull they are a bit of a bu....r but you can reuse them.Batty
They also have some grey versions with an Orange lever

WAGO Limited

Rated to 32A if I recall

These can be reused, in fact I find them useful for bypassing dimmers (dimmers argh!!) for Zs on lights