Joining NIC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ste

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody could give me some info on joining the NIC. I am a qualified spark with 16th and taking 17th next week. My aim is to self cert my work in domestic properties. Do I need 2391 to do this or even periodic inspection to domestic. Thanks

Yes and have spoken to them but dont seem to be getting a straight answer

hi m8

me and my partner are reg with nic as approved contractor, he is princapal duty holder and has 2391 and i am qualified supervisor and i don,t have 2391.

when nic came out to do our first assesment 2 years ago after leaving napit the assesor said to me you do not need 2391 to be a qualified supervisor you need to prove you are competant which is the idea of the assesments.

but if you are 1 man band whether you need 2391 i am not sure will ask my partner he does all the office stuff.

but many other members are nic so i,m sure they will know

There is no requirement for any domestic installer to be a holder of 2391.

One part P scheme provider insist on you having it after 12 months but will accept you again without having the requirement, which in itself makes a mockery of the process, does it not Napit?

Scheme providers will move all the posts so you can score a goal, simply because there is money in Part P.(for them).

My view on part p is that its an abused system, almost impossible to enforce, and a waste of time.

When all the scheme providers and local building control start to actively enforce part p I for one will be happy to pay my anual fee.

Ste .

You will require to show :

1. Whatever are your existing Qualifications ,as you said your a Spark .shouldnt be a problem

2. Your Competance in doing your work to b.s 7671 2008...and.To Building Regs

3. Your understanding of Health & Safety Matters in relation to Electrical Work inc EWR.

4. Your Public Liabilty Insurance cover [

Thank you all for the advice. Just sorted my insurance out and going to contact nic tomoz. One last thing, I am after a all in one tester? Which one would you go for. Thanks ste

Megger mft1552 is good tester mate. Some prefer fluke although kewtech are cheaper. Search this site as megger marks doing a deal on a few for 400 quid if your looking for a deal.

I will even go so far as to tell you, that you don't need 2391 to be on the NICEIC Approved roll. I'm sure there are those here that will say otherwise, however, I know enough approved contractors that don't have this qualification.

If you are planning to do a lot of PIR's it may be best to go for AC as they used to charge extra for DI's to do pir's (another con). Iuse a megger 1552 and like it although it is a bit slower than my seperate metrels on some tests. As said NIC want you to pass so no need to panic, and if there is a big prob you can do a revisit, Its only money!!

Megger mft1552 is good tester mate. Some prefer fluke although kewtech are cheaper. Search this site as megger marks doing a deal on a few for 400 quid if your looking for a deal.
Yeah looks like a real good deal, I aint got ther spare cash at the moment or I would have had one. Then use my 1652 as a back up.

If you are planning to do a lot of PIR's it may be best to go for AC as they used to charge extra for DI's to do pir's (another con). Iuse a megger 1552 and like it although it is a bit slower than my seperate metrels on some tests. As said NIC want you to pass so no need to panic, and if there is a big prob you can do a revisit, Its only money!!
Don't need to be a member of any little club if you want to do PIR's unless you want to put their logo/name on the forms.

Don't need to be a member of any little club if you want to do PIR's unless you want to put their logo/name on the forms.
He is thinking of being in the NIC and wants to do PIR's fair guess by me he wants thier logo et al. I may be wrong of course