Just Moved And Learned What A Tt Earth Is, Some Questions!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you taking the reg to literally mean only within the dwelling house itself, and you are excluding all attached outbuildings such as an attached garage?
I think I am, yes. Most likely because I think it is stupid so sub-consciously I am probably interpreting it to suit what I want.

I wouldn't call an attached garage an outbuilding though, although I suppose it could be. I've only really half read some of the guidance on the subject, I can see how anything that is physically attached to the dwelling could be included, but as I have said before where does it end? If the main CU is in the house and there is a sub CU in the garage does this sub CU need to be non-combustible? Does it depend on what size the sub is? If so, does this mean that all circuits over a certain size should have all non-combustible accessories? Could you then bend this rule if the main CU was in the garage to make it OK to fit a combustible one, could you fit a non-combustible switch fuse to feed your combustible CU?

The problem is that there isn't an inherent problem with consumer units so I can't really apply any logic to this ruling.

To chuck in my two penneth, having read an insane amount of this stuff in the last few days is, if it's attached to the main dwelling then the rule stands to be metal or in a metal enclosure.  If it's not directly attached, then it's a judgement call of the installer (who may have to repeat that judgement call in a court of law ultimately).  So, if you had a shed 3ft from the main building full of fireworks, no doubt, the rule stands.  If you have a shed full of non-combustibles sited 30ft from the main dwelling but there is a solid run of fur trees between the two, touching both buildings, then it's down to the installer to decide whether there is a reasonable chance of the fire spreading, and thus should make the CU comply with amendment 3.  If there were no trees or anything combustible between the two and the 30ft distance applied, you can ignore the rule as it's reasonable to demonstrate that a fire would be unlikely to spread.  At least that's how my non electrician brain read it, thanks for all the replies by the way, I'm finding this very interesting.

P.s. Upstairs lights done, voltage is 235v at the first and last light on the radial between L and N, i'm quite chuffed with that!

To chuck in my two penneth, having read an insane amount of this stuff in the last few days is, if it's attached to the main dwelling then the rule stands to be metal or in a metal enclosure.  If it's not directly attached, then it's a judgement call of the installer (who may have to repeat that judgement call in a court of law ultimately).
That's pretty much where my argument comes from, if I ignore amendment 3 all I need to do is be able to stand up in court if something happened and prove my competence.

So, if you had a shed 3ft from the main building full of fireworks,
Unlikely scenario for a dwelling. ;)

You don't know my grandmother (the one who tried to kill me with the socket change).  About 2 months ago I found her having a bonfire, INSIDE THE GARAGE, because it was raining.  Just to make your toes really curl, about 10ft behind her were petrol cans for the garden tools, full.  Needless to say I put the fire out very quickly, and naturally was told off for doing so because "Nothing has happened before when I do this".  Needless to say, never underestimate a persons capacity to endanger themselves :D

I apologise if I have missed anything in this thread and am repeating things... I've skimmed through a lot of it

Not sure if the OP is aware that metallic consumer units have been deemed acceptable on TT provided some precautions are taken.

A suitable method of securing the tails and keeping them from the entry hole... there are propietry glands which have been brought out for that...

The outer sheathing is maintained right the way to the incomming device, with only enough removed just above teh terminals to ID the cores.

Consideration is given to preventing the risk of a fault between the units internal links and the case. I don't think I'd do it any other way than having the incomming device as a time delay RCD.

Thanks!  I wasn't aware specifically and I guess it does lower the risk.  I'd be interested to know if any of the experts who deemed it acceptable have a TT earth though...  I have two family members with pretty dodgy tickers as it is sadly, so if I have to make a choice between a very small fire risk and a very small shock risk I have to weigh it up towards fire, as no solution is entirely safe it's a case of risk management.  In the event of a fire there is reasonable warning time to evacuate and plenty of escape routes in the house, however there would be no visible warning as such of a shock hazard and if the wrong person discovers it then it's probably game over.  However if my situation were different and it was a household of 4x100% healthy people and restricted escape routes, I'd probably weigh the decision the other way.  Interesting information though, so thank you for taking the time to post!

so if I have to make a choice between a very small fire risk and a very small shock risk I have to weigh it up towards fire,
What electrical equipment are you making a choice between that makes any difference to the shock protection?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I am, yes. Most likely because I think it is stupid so sub-consciously I am probably interpreting it to suit what I want.

I wouldn't call an attached garage an outbuilding though, although I suppose it could be. I've only really half read some of the guidance on the subject, I can see how anything that is physically attached to the dwelling could be included, but as I have said before where does it end? If the main CU is in the house and there is a sub CU in the garage does this sub CU need to be non-combustible? Does it depend on what size the sub is? If so, does this mean that all circuits over a certain size should have all non-combustible accessories? Could you then bend this rule if the main CU was in the garage to make it OK to fit a combustible one, could you fit a non-combustible switch fuse to feed your combustible CU?

The problem is that there isn't an inherent problem with consumer units so I can't really apply any logic to this ruling.

That's pretty much where my argument comes from, if I ignore amendment 3 all I need to do is be able to stand up in court if something happened and prove my competence.

Unlikely scenario for a dwelling. ;)
OK, I think I need to make one thing clear at this point.

I hate the idea of metal CU’s being foisted upon us by LFB, due to incompetent installers dragging the industry and its reputation into the gutter.

I agree with you that it is stupid, there are several issues with this pathetic idea.

However, we are stuck with it until a metal CU on a TT kills someone, which almost every one of the “industry figures” I have spoken to believe will happen.

Then and only then may something be looked at.

The other hope is that manufacturers can come up with an alternative material that meets the definition of non-combustible as in building regulations descriptions of non-combustible.

They this would need to be proven by independent testing and certified by the equipment manufacturer.

I think the definitions of which bits of a building are which are already defined in the guidance, and dictionaries, remember the understanding of the common man, and the man on the Clapham omnibus requirements of law.

The requirement extends to ALL CU’s and similar switchgear, so if it’s “under” EN 61439 then it’s “under” 421.1.201.

Unless it’s DNO kit, at this point in time.

There is a good chance that this will change as changes to BS7671 normally trigger changes to ESQCR.

Which in turn triggers changes to the DNO technical manuals, plus the Construction Products Directive is now fully fledged.

This is one of the reasons for the demise of BS6004.

Anyway, yes, a sub-cu anywhere in the main dwelling, or attached outbuilding, or closely located detached outbuilding where there is the chance of spread of fire would need to be of non-combustible material.  (Or, in a non-combustible enclosure).

Unfortunately it does not matter on the size or current rating of the sub main to the CU.

It doesn’t mean that any circuits require non-combustible accessories, unless those circuits originate from or terminate in an “accessory to EN 61439”, which would be a CU, or a piece of switchgear, not an accessory.

You have to fit a non-combustible CU in an attached garage, or one closely located to the main dwelling.

Your switch fuse would come under EN 61439 so it would need to be non-combustible.

I’ve gone through this with a fine toothed comb looking for a loophole for various reasons.  This in itself is a long story as to why.

I rarely, if ever do domestic CU changes or installs in the same way that most of you do here.

Then there is the issue that there is not a valid product standard for a metal CU meeting the requirements of BS7671 Amd 3!

The only domestic work I really do these days is pseudo medical.

The market around here has been raped and is right at the bottom of the pile in terms of getting people to pay a reasonable rate, so I don’t bother.

I have a big issue in that I have a potential requirement for an IPx5 rated CU for use within the main dwelling, there is only one in the market at the moment, and I’m not sure if it complies until I get some more data from the OEM, yes it is metal, but, it’s not steel, and may contain a metallic element that could pose a fire risk, and this is specifically mentioned in the requirement for non-combustibility in the building regulations.

The issue is the poor quality of installation has set fire to the bodies of the CU’s which in themselves are a ready source of fuel which then causes the fire to spread, and liberates high volumes of acrid smoke.

By switching to metal (steel) the fire load is removed, thus, the body of the CU cannot fuel the fire.

It’s a huge pain, and it is going to cause debate for a long time yet.

I don’t like it, but we’ve simply got to get used to it.

Now as far as the second post goes, yes, you can prove your competence but, you can’t prove removal of the flammable material if you carry on fitting plastic CU’s.

So, you’d still be in the firing line, and as you had gone against BS7671, you would have to prove that your design offered the same level of safety, which it can’t because you have the flammable material present.

So if it went wrong, you’d end up in the dock possibly with no insurance to back you.

I’ve been told you can’t insure against defending criminal charges, but I don’t know if that is true or not.

You could well be looking at manslaughter, and that is serious stuff!

You could only hope that your PII would cover you for the design decisions you made in selecting a flammable CU, when BS7671 says that they must not be fitted, and, the whole of the “industry” agrees with BS7671.

Sorry tired and hard day, I meant plastic vs metal but I think you got what I meant.  Did I misunderstand something here (genuine question as I'm a novice) but if the fault was supply side then it would energise the casing, which is connected to the earth block, which is connected to everything metal in the property.  Although a safety device should trip on my side (RCD/RCBO) the fact that earth isn't switched means it would remain live.  This would typically cause the fuse at the service head to blow quite predictable on TN-C/TN-cs, but with the much higher resistance of earth on a TT installation I get the impression the fuse might not blow so predictably, leaving the risk that everything earthed becomes live and no way of determining this until a shock is experienced.  Although the though of wiring a lamp terminal to the side of a metal CU did strike me as an idea, as a visual cue that the casing had become a conductor.  Please note I've been rapidly learning and reading this stuff for only a few days so if my post is littered with errors I welcome feedback to put my mind at rest!

Anyway, yes, a sub-cu anywhere in the main dwelling, or attached outbuilding, or closely located detached outbuilding where there is the chance of spread of fire would need to be of non-combustible material.  (Or, in a non-combustible enclosure).

Unfortunately it does not matter on the size or current rating of the sub main to the CU.

It doesn’t mean that any circuits require non-combustible accessories, unless those circuits originate from or terminate in an “accessory to EN 61439”, which would be a CU, or a piece of switchgear, not an accessory.

You have to fit a non-combustible CU in an attached garage, or one closely located to the main dwelling.

Your switch fuse would come under EN 61439 so it would need to be non-combustible.
This is where I start to lose interest in it, it doesn't make sense to apply the ruling to consumer units blindly.

A 1 way consumer unit with a 6A MCB feeding a light in a garage. This CU is fed from the main CU by a 1.5mm² SWA on a 10A MCB - garage CU has to be non-combustible

A rotary isolator in a garage fed by a 16mm² T&E supplying an electric boiler - isolator doesn't need to be non-combustible as it isn't a CU.

I know we are supposed to follow the rules no matter what, it is quite hard to at times though.

Sorry tired and hard day, I meant plastic vs metal but I think you got what I meant.  Did I misunderstand something here (genuine question as I'm a novice) but if the fault was supply side then it would energise the casing, which is connected to the earth block, which is connected to everything metal in the property.  Although a safety device should trip on my side (RCD/RCBO) the fact that earth isn't switched means it would remain live.  This would typically cause the fuse at the service head to blow quite predictable on TN-C/TN-cs, but with the much higher resistance of earth on a TT installation I get the impression the fuse might not blow so predictably, leaving the risk that everything earthed becomes live and no way of determining this until a shock is experienced.  Although the though of wiring a lamp terminal to the side of a metal CU did strike me as an idea, as a visual cue that the casing had become a conductor.  Please note I've been rapidly learning and reading this stuff for only a few days so if my post is littered with errors I welcome feedback to put my mind at rest!
I think there is some misunderstanding somewhere, the RCD won't trip if the earth becomes live.

The DNO fuse should blow if the phase conductor of the tails from the meter to CU should come into contact with an earthed component.

You can secure the tails in such a way that contact would be near impossible.

I have never seen live tails "fall out" of a main switch for no reason without anyone touching them.

Regular testing and inspection should show up any issues with loose tails that are about to fall out and hit the case.

Lurch,

I know you hate it, and so do I, but, we are landed with it.

Oh and a rotary isolator comes under similar switchgear, because it is under EN 61349 "they" are saying!  :facepalm:

This would typically cause the fuse at the service head to blow quite predictable on TN-C/TN-cs, but with the much higher resistance of earth on a TT installation I get the impression the fuse might not blow so predictably, leaving the risk that everything earthed becomes live and no way of determining this until a shock is experienced.

That is indeed correct. Your TT system might have an Ra of 50 ohms. 230/50 = 4.6A would would obviously blow no fuses. Now I've seen TT systems in this way and many cases I feel people have been quite lucky that no harm beside a few tingles over happened. It could have been very different!

The way round it, is we ensure that a fault to the case can't happen. We take the tails through a special gland which supports them and prevents them from being at rish of damaging on the case, in the way that a rubber grommet or bass bush may not. We leave them sheathed within the enclosure until the incomming device. (BS7671 has a double fault to danger policy - i.e. one failure should not cause danger - in this case, two layers of insulation between live parts and TT earthed metal). We must also worry about the internal links of the boards and the case... now I am not sure what the industry accepted view is at the moment. But I personally would make the incomming device a 100A type S RCD

It seems odd re-energising a tripped circuit whilst holding onto the metal lid of a metal CU. It is certainly less safe than plastic CUs where only 1 finger is needed on the mcb switch.

I have never seen live tails "fall out" of a main switch for no reason without anyone touching them.

Unfortunately with cage type terminals It can happen! On Friday I went to a site that had some some quite sudden failures of various pieces of medical equipment within one room. Everything seemed normal at the sockets they were plugged into when I rocked up, voltages how you would expect them, etc. Continue to the plant room, cover off the UPS fed 3ph board, neutral terminal just doesn't look quite right.... Quick thermal image shows neutral a couple of degrees warmer than any phase... which are all quite cold (no real load for the last hour). That is strange, you'd need quite a bit of harmonic distortion to get that I would have thought. Anyway it needs proper investigation, 15 minutes later I get the go ahead to isolate the dist board.... Neutral pulled right out between thumb and fore-finger. Profile of the strands was still very round.... not flattened at all!

Does that go back to something i keep reading about burned neutrals and the theory some sparks don't pay as much attention as they do the live?  (I'm guessing it wasn't your install so not pointing a finger, just asking a question!).  I'm having to get quite handy at fault finding here, such fun.

Unfortunately with cage type terminals It can happen! On Friday I went to a site that had some some quite sudden failures of various pieces of medical equipment within one room. Everything seemed normal at the sockets they were plugged into when I rocked up, voltages how you would expect them, etc. Continue to the plant room, cover off the UPS fed 3ph board, neutral terminal just doesn't look quite right.... Quick thermal image shows neutral a couple of degrees warmer than any phase... which are all quite cold (no real load for the last hour). That is strange, you'd need quite a bit of harmonic distortion to get that I would have thought. Anyway it needs proper investigation, 15 minutes later I get the go ahead to isolate the dist board.... Neutral pulled right out between thumb and fore-finger. Profile of the strands was still very round.... not flattened at all!
Still didn't just fall out for no reason though did it. It was not correctly installed and you had to tug it to remove it from the terminal.

Does that go back to something i keep reading about burned neutrals and the theory some sparks don't pay as much attention as they do the live?
Quite possible.

Oh and a rotary isolator comes under similar switchgear, because it is under EN 61349 "they" are saying!  :facepalm:
So does this mean shower and cooker isolators should be too?