Kitchen Downlighters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesG

Reaction score
Hi,

I have some existing kitchen down lighters installed that I wanted to replace. The existing set are low voltage with a transformer wired directly to a switch which is connected to an electrical circuit of the house. I purchased a new set but they have a plug, I was hoping somebody could advise if the new set can be wired in the same way as the existing set are wired?

I have attached some of the spec from the transformers below.

Existing Set

PRI 230v~50-60Hz 0.27A

SEC 12v~5A 10-60W

Fully Dimmable

New Set

PRI 230~50Hz 0.32A

SEC 11.5V~10-60W

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, intent on getting it down today.

JamesG

Hello James and welcome to the forum, are there any wiring diagrams for the new transformers? It is unusual to have them supplied with a "plug",the transformers should be able to directly replace the ones you have that are "hard wired" to the lighting circuit.

Hi Manator,

Thanks the quick response.

No, there are no wiring diagrams. The new set was purchased from a rather large Swedish furniture shop so I assume they put a plug on for most people to just plug into a socket?

So do you think the transformers are similar enough to just swap over and then install the new lights?

Thanks

James

If you can upload a picture showing what you have I am sure our members will put you right. Normally the transformers will be double insulated meaning that no earth is required, you will make the connection to the lighting circuit with two wires only, blue and brown being the harmonised colours. It should be a simple operation to change like for like because all the required connections should be present on the old transformers. There is a slight difference between your new one and those you are replacing so the new ones should only be used with the lights you have just purchased.

Thanks Manator, think I'm just going to give it a go!

Will post back soon to let you know how it goes.

As a slight aside [and really you WILL have to trust me on this one] I actually rent some property to an Undertaker; it is my old business premises, my old office is now a Mortuary. I am sure I could negotiate a special deal for Forumites................ :coat
You should have been around when the Godfather was around he would have been good friends with you.

Good friends? the Godfather would have have had Kerching on speed dial with Kerching having assign the GF His own personal incoming ring tone so that Kerching could get the boys to dig the hole a bit lively :p AndyGuinness
No need.....the holes are pre-dug. All you have to do is turn up, remove the grass overlay, remove the earth and there you are, Voila, one hole.....simples