Kitchen Sockets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do remember seeing something about it in the electricians guide to the building regulations. I have seen it, but don't ask Me where it is in the book.
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

AndyGuinness

I normally go 1200mm from the floor to the top of back box, same as light switches. But as noz says it can also depend on tiles.

I think iv seen it at 100mm above work top somewhere m8 but it would look rough. I normally go at what noz and batam say if there are no tile or splash back sizes to go off. Iv had customers wanting them right up to the bottom of units with moldings to keep them out of site.

as said 150 above but i only do that if there are are no exisiting sockets, if there are then they go at the same height as the existing unless of course the existing sockets are stupidly low/high.

All wrong it's in the Guide to Building regs 150mm from worktop to centre of socket page 61 at the top.Mike.
Not quite factually correct...

There is NO minimum given in BS7671..

The regulations just states should be sufficiently high to avoid damage to the plug or socket outlet or flex during normal use..

That will be regulation 553.1.6 page 142 of the red book.

The Guide to Building regs is just "General Guidance" of sensible practice that can be adopted..

BUT it is not a set-in-stone figure that should always be followed...

It is quite reasonable to put a socket lower than 150mm (6inches) without causing any undue strain on the socket or plug or flex...

So compliance with BS7671 can easily be achieved at heights lower than 150mm..

as has been said already.. the most important governing factors IMHO are:--

The height of other accessories.

The edges or joins on any wall tiles.

Compliance with 553.1.6

If all them are good then they do NOT have to be 150mm!

However my personal height is often higher than 150mm..

many kitchen have them 4inch tiles and I often bring the bottom of the socket in line with the top of the second tile from the worktop..

so thats a tad higher than 8inch!!:DGuinness

and that is where should should always ask what size tiles are being fitted and what width work tops are being used

I generally install mine 150mm to the bottom of the socket from the worktop. Its also worth asking the customer if they know what size of tiles they are using or if they are using a up stand, if they do locate the sockets to accommodate those.

Ian

Latest posts