Stainless steel kitchen worktops

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joolsmy

Reaction score
While PA testing a couple of holiday lets I noticed that the stainless steel kitchen worktops were not earth bonded and wondered if they should be. All the workshops, commercial kitchens I've come across have had bonded worktops/benches. Thanks.

While PA testing a couple of holiday lets I noticed that the stainless steel kitchen worktops were not earth bonded and wondered if they should be. All the workshops, commercial kitchens I've come across have had bonded worktops/benches. Thanks.
Bonding sinks stopped a long time ago. Commercial kitchens tend to have all surfaces made of stainless steel, and lots of electrical items on them, so there's a much higher risk of a short to the surfaces.

Bonding sinks stopped a long time ago. Commercial kitchens tend to have all surfaces made of stainless steel, and lots of electrical items on them, so there's a much higher risk of a short to the surfaces.
Thanks.

I would think if the supply has RCD protection it’s not a problem, but if not, supplementary bonding should be in place.

so.. if its class 2 then it can't become live. if its class 1 then it'll be earthed. end result of a fault would be the same if the bench was earthed or not
My question has already been answered but thanks for you input.

you mean 'its not the answer i wanted, but thanks anyway'. sounds about right.
I really just wanted to know what was the best practice regarding installation of metal worktops. Maybe I should have been more precise in the wording of my question.

I really just wanted to know what was the best practice regarding installation of metal worktops. Maybe I should have been more precise in the wording of my question.
You absolutely should. It's a bit like talking with my Mrs, I often explain if something could be taken two ways, it was the other way I was meaning :):):)

Latest posts