Labelled diagram help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyngarth

Reaction score
Hi

Was wondering if any of you kind people could help me out with a question I need to answer for my course.

Question is..

When carrying out an insulation resistance test between live conductors of the socket outlets a short circuit is discovered.

a) Define the term short circuit Done this one

B) describe with the aid of a labeled diagram how you would perform a test to determine the location of the fault within the damaged cable. Not sure how to do/draw this ?

c) Describe the action to be taken to rectify this fault.

Check and replace damaged cable or socket ????

Was told this answer by a spark I have been helping out, but he did say that he was not sure if that's the answer needed but " would be his answer"

Many thanks,

Lyngarth

I would say it is looking for you to describe splitting the ring and testing each length of cable between sockets individually.

I agree with Lurch. Its called 'halving'.

c) is basicly right, I would say replace damaged part and re-test.

If it is a dead short between L& N, and you know the cable size..

you could do a low resistance continuity test across L & N...

then use the figures from table 9A pg 166 OSG to calculate roughly how far up the circuit the fault is.

e.g. if you got a reading of say 0.37ohms

up 2 x 2.5mm conductors would be 14.82miliohm/M

so (0.37/14.82)*1000 = 24.9meters.

Thus your short is approx 25m along the cable run! ;)

go find the accessories that you think are somewhere around that distance up the circuit to start your 'breaking-open-the-circuit' tests.

;)

c) is basicly right, I would say replace damaged part and re-test.
That is the important part that they are looking for. :)

Many thanks for the quick replys.

What a great site to get help from, a lot better than the spark I'm working with !! mind you he "old school " his words not mine, which makes it hard to learn as he is always doing it "his way" and not always the way I was/am being told to do it.

But it does help just to get out there and my hands dirty, and he is letting me do more and more testing which is good.

All have to do now is work out to draw a labeled diagram :eek:

Many thanks for your time and help,

Lyngarth

Latest posts