lathe & plaster walls

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulman

Reaction score
Had a bit of a problem with a lathe & plaster wall this morning. headbang Light switch with a metal backbox floating around held in place only by the cable. The only way i could sort it is to remove the backbox completely, cut a bigger hole fit a section of plasterboard over the hole held in place with screws then fill the recess with a square piece of plasterboard screwed into the plasterboard behind, i then cut a whole and put in a dryline box. and filled over gaps with filler..... Now there must be an easier way to do this any ideas from the experienced chaps.

Cheers :)

What you could have done is cut 2 pieces of 2 by 1 timber into about 4 inch lengths and place them into the hole for the backbox. Screw these in place to the side of the hole through the plaster. You would then have something to fix the backbox to. And fill in the screw holes with a bit of filler.

Sounds like you did OK Lathe & plaster can be a right PITA if the lathes are broken or seperated from the plaster.

In the past I've gone to one side , fixed a surface pattress and plastered up the hole , tell customer its a hopeless case.

Last one I did was quite low down on the wall a socket. I lifted it up and fixed it to the side of the wood beam. I did use a ton of bonding to fill the hole. I don't think there is an easy way and every job is different.

Latest posts