Letting Off Steam On Surveymonkey!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shed69

Reaction score
Hey all good and bad

I'm interested in your comments on what I have been asked today on NICEIC/ELECSA survey and what your thoughts are on the topic of third party signing off........

heres mine.....

On the whole I think its a terrible idea, second only to the introduction of the "bored of working in a kitchen - become an electrician" idea. Lets face it our trade and reputation has suffered considerably as a result of the fast track courses made available - and to an extent I blame yourselves too for allowing these kind of people to join your scheme. Its good that your taking a stance on this but it would have been nice if you had not have come up with the Purple looking logo "Domestic Installer" scheme that allows John Smith the Chef/Dustman/Printer/Delivery Driver/Dog Walker/Valeter/Landscaper/Balloon Blower Upper and Magician" to name but a few of their previous jobs - to become electricians and join the NICEIC...... or any other scheme for that matter.... However, on the bright side, the majority of these people (not all I might add) we do follow on that have ruined peoples house decor and/or electrics and pick up where they have off, for a reasonable fee of course..... Every cloud and all that.....

Am I wrong/right/harsh..................

What were you asked?

Oh 3rd party sign off.....................................didn't think it was happening anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the whole I think its a terrible idea, second only to the introduction of the "bored of working in a kitchen - become an electrician" idea. Lets face it our trade and reputation has suffered considerably as a result of the fast track courses made available - and to an extent I blame yourselves too for allowing these kind of people to join your scheme. Its good that your taking a stance on this but it would have been nice if you had not have come up with the Purple looking logo "Domestic Installer" scheme that allows John Smith the Chef/Dustman/Printer/Delivery Driver/Dog Walker/Valeter/Landscaper/Balloon Blower Upper and Magician" to name but a few of their previous jobs - to become electricians and join the NICEIC...... or any other scheme for that matter.... However, on the bright side, the majority of these people (not all I might add) we do follow on that have ruined peoples house decor and/or electrics and pick up where they have off, for a reasonable fee of course..... Every cloud and all that.....
To be fair just recently  I've been out & rectified, fixed & tested some shoddy, dangerous & unacceptable work completed by an Approved nicey company, so lets not jump on the blame the DI's bandwagon.......as you say some are very good & some knowing they are under scrutiny by holier than thou time served sparks actually turnout far better work than some of the said time served throw it in I know best brigade.

...........................Just fishing

If the NIC are going to do this I was wondering about getting a group of mates together and agreeing to get one of us to become the "3rd party" and then split the single fee between us.

Seriously though - there are enough sparks signing off other peoples work already, and nobody does anything about it.

More to the point the NIC know they will lose money on this so why would they want to do it? From their perspective its not about the trade, its about protecting their incomes/pensions.

I thought they'd kicked it into touch ,  apart from NOT allowing us mugs to do it but to create a seperate brigade of wonder inspectors , probably a sideline for Scheme assessors .

NICEIC/ ELECSA / ECA  decided they were not interested in promoting  third party testing .

I replied to the survey, I did add comments at the end saying the DiY'ers have always been with us so not an issue its the Stupid 5 Week Course that's the bigger problem putting people out there that fully believe they are Electricians but don't have a clue, yes they can install a socket but fault find not a clue.

I thought they'd kicked it into touch , apart from NOT allowing us mugs to do it but to create a seperate brigade of wonder inspectors , probably a sideline for Scheme assessors .

NICEIC/ ELECSA / ECA decided they were not interested in promoting third party testing .
Well now they are asking, so maybe back peddling a little

Last edited by a moderator:
I replied to the survey, I did add comments at the end saying the DiY'ers have always been with us so not an issue its the Stupid 5 Week Course that's the bigger problem putting people out there that fully believe they are Electricians but don't have a clue, yes they can install a socket but fault find not a clue.

Well now they are asking, so maybe back peddling a little
Totally agree Steve,

We've always had diyers, it's not that some people are disillusioned and actually think they are electricians that we have a massive problem.

Latest posts