Light for walk in freezer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harvey

Reaction score
Does anyone know what sort of light to put in walk inside freezer 6m long 3m wide 2.5m in height.Must be OK at minus 20c .IP 44 would probably do the job ? What about condensation in light ?

Hi, one of my customers had a condenstation problems with a plastic bulkhead light in a small walk in freezer, we replaced it with one that had a glass cover, which solved the problem. Ditto the shattering glass comment.

Also, going off on a tangent, I changed some lamps in some lowbays that were fitted in a very large drive in freezer store, they were over 10 years old, but looked like brand new, no signs of any rust or corrosion, the cold temprature seems to preserve.

You may need special fittings at such a low temp, I have read something on this recently, normal fittings may be slow starting at such low temps, also you may need food grade lighting, lamp oversleeves & low temp ballasts. There are other options.

Paul

If you're using fluorescents, I'd increase the number and reduce the length (i.e. 2 x 2ft rather than 1 x 4ft) - in my experience the short tubes strike better at low temperatures.

I replaced some in a freezer , do 10 mins and come out jobby.

They were the standard twin fluorescent -non corrosive -fibreglass body type 5ft x 58w.

Replaced because the installer had taken all the hard wiring past the choke so that it could melt.

we keep some products at minus 30 at work do you want me to check what we have in there?