Light output, downlighters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Kit

Reaction score
Sat here doing quotes. Sunday morning!! Customer wanting downlights in kitchen and has specified Lux level of 200 plus. Can anyone shed any light (sorry about the pun) on how many GU10 50w downlighter I will need to acheive this. Exposed ceiling area is about 6Msq

Sir Kit

Sat here doing quotes. Sunday morning!! Customer wanting downlights in kitchen and has specified Lux level of 200 plus. Can anyone shed any light (sorry about the pun) on how many GU10 50w downlighter I will need to acheive this. Exposed ceiling area is about 6Msq Sir Kit
About 500 for gu10's

ha ha

Lux level will vary based on the angle of the reflector and the distance you measure the level from, also some D/L fittings where the bulb is recessed to far back in the metal molding can narrow the light angle.

50w mains tungsten halogen with 25deg lamp = 1,178 lux @ 1m, 295 lux @ 2m, 131 lux @ 4m & 74 lux @ 4m.

You get about 2.5 time these from the 12v versions

I tend to go on a 1m to 1.2m spacing for kitchens.

GU10 spaced at about 1.2 m apart should give you about 350 lux assuming standard ceiling height and that the walls and ceiling are painted with light colours.Low voltage should give you nearer 500 lux at this spacing.

Or you could fit 2375 Led GU10's :(
I think you have over estimated there slips you can reduce it to 2075 cus the neons on the 3 FCU's will omit 300 of those Led's :)