lighting problems

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robj63

Reaction score
Please bear with me cos im still pretty new to this

I have a house with separate circuits for up / down stairs lights - The upstairs lights trip as soon as the fuse is inserted

This circuit only powers two lights ( small cottage) so i had the idea to connect downstairs with upsatirs, I realise this is not best practice but there are only six light downstairs I thought this is acceptable load ( 8 in total)

I disconnected the feed from the fuse box to the lights and run a new cable from light at the top of the stairs ( two way light on downstairs circuit) to the existing lights upstairs .

As a result not only did the lights still not work but the light i took feed from didnt work either.

Am i missing something due to the fact its fed from a light with a two way switch??? when i disconnected the new cable to reinstate everything as it was the two way light would work again

Hope i havnt been too long winded and would appreciate any suggestions ( polite ones lol )

Rob

I think you need to locate the fault rather then just move the circuit to a different supply location? If something is tripping, (you haven't said if it is an MCB, RCBO, RCD, Cartridge fuse, Open wire fuse)? then normally there is a fault causing the device to trip.

Doc H.

? So I am now assuming you have done some test readings of continuity & polarity of your conductors, insulation resistance test etc. If you are blowing the 5A rewire-able fuse my first guess would be someone has changed a light fitting and put the switch wires directly across L & N, or you have some serious cable insulation deterioration somewhere. This sounds like quite basic fault finding to identify the type of fault even if it takes a little longer to identify the location of the fault.

Doc H.

It sounds like you have a fault. You need to locate this otherwise you will be with out all your lights rather than 2 .

You could try disconnecting the feed from light 1 to 2 this will give you a little more idea where the fault is.

Ofcause. Only do this if you compliant and wear safety goggles and hi-vis with steel toecaps.

Paul