long distance working

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
been asked to do a job a few hundred miles away. its going to be 2-3 days work, so 1 or 2 night in B&B. is there any 'standard' ways to price this? i can easily price the actual work, just not too sure about the traveling part

When we worked on hotel refurbs we would charge the cost of accommodation, a set rate for meals while we were away then we would also bill for travel expenses, although usually only fuel was charged no labour fees as these were pretty big jobs so didnt really hurt profits but thats down to personal preference.

been asked to do a job a few hundred miles away. its going to be 2-3 days work, so 1 or 2 night in B&B. is there any 'standard' ways to price this? i can easily price the actual work, just not too sure about the traveling part
I'd charge by the hour for any distance beyond what you would consider a normal round trip, or you could factor it in a pence per mile rate of course, if it takes you 8hrs round trip that's a day's wage you can't earn because you are behind the wheel, very much down to why you are accepting the job of course

It would also not be unreasonable to charge an nightly allowance for the fact you are away from home (TV, Film hire, pub etc), e.g.

I'd charge by the hour for any distance beyond what you would consider a normal round trip, or you could factor it in a pence per mile rate of course, if it takes you 8hrs round trip that's a day's wage you can't earn because you are behind the wheel, very much down to why you are accepting the job of courseIt would also not be unreasonable to charge an nightly allowance for the fact you are away from home (TV, Film hire, pub etc), e.g.

did they not give you a free room for the night?!
The main contractors got everyone stopped from staying in the hotel by getting drunk and acting stupid.

I believe the Inland Revenue allows 50p a mile for the first 10000 miles (24p thereafter and when using a motorcycle) for travelling expenses when using a car, this is to take into consideration wear and tear, MOT, insurance, tax and petrol. Obviously doesn't take into consideration your time.

I believe the Inland Revenue allows 50p a mile for the first 10000 miles (24p thereafter and when using a motorcycle) for travelling expenses when using a car, this is to take into consideration wear and tear, MOT, insurance, tax and petrol. Obviously doesn't take into consideration your time.
travel will be my work van (and unless i take the scenic route a few times, i dont think i will be working 10,000 miles from home!)

and my van doesnt do as well on fuel compared to cars either,

Sorry, should have said private car. If you're allready claiming for the van, fuel, insurance etc. then the private car allowance won't much apply to you.

At the point of determining taxation that would be the case assuming employed and self-employed are the same rates, bottom line is you can charge what you like, the more you charge the more tax you pay

if it was me (and im not great at this sort of thing) i would just charge what it will cost me. ie call a hotel / premier inn and find out room costs, average meal costs etc then calc the fuel on top and a little extra.

as for travelling time itself, if the client is aware of how far you have to travel then it wouldn't be unreasonable to put an extra days wage on top.

all that said ive not been in that position so i cant speak from experience.