loop in /and neutral at switches

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks steps. Does a new addition have to come from this central point or can you have a combination and loop from a switch?
you can loop from a sw if you want apache, nothing in this game is wrote in stone,

except for EAWR.

personally I think this method is far superior to any other method I have seen or used so far.

easier to add on to and fault find as well.

limitations to its benefits are dependant on house design and shape tho, sometimes it can be found to have two or more boxes is easier.

O.k adaptable box with a large strip of nylon connectors in acceptable?
its is indeed sir, do you think that would comply with BS7671.?

although a large adaptable box fitted with a DIN rail and some appropriate connectors would be much more professional dont you think.?

its is indeed sir, do you think that would comply with BS7671.?although a large adaptable box fitted with a DIN rail and some appropriate connectors would be much more professional dont you think.?
Yes more appropriate but would the other not comply(if you were stuck for more appropriate connectors on a sunday.

I assume you are mounting these boxes near the c/u or the loft for accessability?

as central a point as is practical for each floor,

I usually find beside CU for ground floor is fine,

and in the loft for 1st floor is good.

yes, usually a strip of 15a connectors within a suitable enclosure is fine, 5a conn seem too small to be suitable, but would be OK depending on your MCB/fuse size.

as central a point as is practical for each floor,I usually find beside CU for ground floor is fine,

and in the loft for 1st floor is good.

yes, usually a strip of 15a connectors within a suitable enclosure is fine, 5a conn seem too small to be suitable, but would be OK depending on your MCB/fuse size.
Thanks that does sound sensible,can you buy the din rail setup off the shelf or is it a make your own up job?

All,

Just bare in mind with Step's solution, that all cables entering and leaving the enclosure (and the enclosure itself) need to be fix/clipped - otherwise it does not comply with the regs.

As the suggested enclosure has no cable restraints, the enclousre and cables need to be fixed to the same mounting (eg wall or backing plate - and not left loose in the loft).

D.

I have seen it done this way on a few jobs. Very popular on large houses in the past when cable was expensive although the price of it now it may come back into fashion. You could use an ashley purpose built one if you want to do it that way. I prefer to loop at switches as everthing is easily found. The problem with a central jb is if you didn't install it they can be a job to find with Mrs Jones clutter in her loft. Heres a link to an Ashley lighting jb. As DD says you would need to fit it on a board and then clip cables to it.

http://www.allaboutelectrics.co.uk/doc/12/vid/2042/ASHLEY_JUNC_BOX___12W_CONN_STRIP.html

Batty

All,Just bare in mind with Step's solution, that all cables entering and leaving the enclosure (and the enclosure itself) need to be fix/clipped - otherwise it does not comply with the regs.

As the suggested enclosure has no cable restraints, the enclousre and cables need to be fixed to the same mounting (eg wall or backing plate - and not left loose in the loft).

D.
correct, thanks for pointing that out DD, although it was only an example of the type of enclosure to use. but well spotted, I suppose sometimes I dont think about pointing out things like this unwittingly when there could be some people reading this that wouldnt be as astute as I like to think I am, :^O

I have seen it done this way on a few jobs. Very popular on large houses in the past when cable was expensive although the price of it now it may come back into fashion. You could use an ashley purpose built one if you want to do it that way. I prefer to loop at switches as everthing is easily found. The problem with a central jb is if you didn't install it they can be a job to find with Mrs Jones clutter in her loft. Heres a link to an Ashley lighting jb. As DK says you would need to fit it on a board and then clip cables to it.http://www.allaboutelectrics.co.uk/doc/12/vid/2042/ASHLEY_JUNC_BOX___12W_CONN_STRIP.html

Batty
thats the job batty, good find.

just been thinking now, if you have to restrain cables entering an enclosure(which is very correct)

why dont you have to restrain cables entering a ceiling rose? ?:|

I usually twist cpc's in pendants so they are not likely to get pulled out and as they come through ceiling i suppose it is unlikely to happen. But manfacturers could put something across where cables come through to stop them getting pulled out. But as it is unlikely to happen BS probably don't see point.

Batty

neutrals in switches every time i have come across it the job has been a mess 5 day wonder or 5 day wonder who took 3 days of spider method the job i am on at the min

supply from cu to box above board then split one to each switch l+n+cpc

unprofessional lost count of the times i have had to fix these type of job

if you have five end to one lighting circuit how to you test r1+r2 if i have offended anyone

with my rant then get a life then an apprenticeship

have a lovely sunday

neutrals in switches every time i have come across it the job has been a mess 5 day wonder or 5 day wonder who took 3 days of spider method the job i am on at the minsupply from cu to box above board then split one to each switch l+n+cpc

if you have five end to one lighting circuit how to you test r1+r2 if i have offended anyone

have a lovely sunday
Ohh Dear i was just enjoying all those din rails and really like the ashley box, thanks steps and others.

With regard to your r1+ r2 question i dont see the problem with testing from the mcb as normal, you will still record the highest figure.

Perhaps you dont test every point so it would be inconvinient for you to have five ends to a circuit. ]:)

As to the end of your post keep it for SF this is a friendly forum and we dont all know it all thats why we ask.

Hope pour not offended SSAB

neutrals in switches every time i have come across it the job has been a mess 5 day wonder or 5 day wonder who took 3 days of spider method the job i am on at the minsupply from cu to box above board then split one to each switch l+n+cpc

have a lovely sunday
well I for one am not offended, cos thats all that was, uninformed and ill judged, maybe I should have done one of those 5week apprenticeships you were on too.

done my apprenticeship(proper 5year one) 20 odd years ago, I just dont live in the dark ages,

I suppose your also one of these people that think ring final circuits where you have a 2.5T&E cable capable of carrying 18amps and protected by a 32amp MCB is also super duper safe?

try having a look at the rest of the world(where our regs are currently heading to harmonise with) and you will see radials and spider lighting systems everywhere.

so maybe you are right, lets have a radial with 20 outlets on it, far easier to find a fault on, and all the extra spurs for wall lights and the extra light in the cupboard or outside the front porch will be so much easier to find,

but of course that wont matter to you, cos you only want to test one light on the circuit anyway.!!!

we all come on here to pass ideas and thoughts around, but at the end of the day, ar5eholes cant be educated, they only come out with sh!t!!!

Calm dowm Mr S, we all have our own ways of doing things, that is not to say any way is better than others. I usually wire into switches but as you say sometimes they can get a bit full especially with two way switching. There are many ways of complying with the red book.

Batty

Calm dowm Mr S, we all have our own ways of doing things, that is not to say any way is better than others. I usually wire into switches but as you say sometimes they can get a bit full especially with two way switching. There are many ways of complying with the red book.Batty
Im chilled batty, thanks. :D

I didnt think I had said anywhere that spider system was any better than the traditional method, just that I prefered it, most of the time.

as you say, we all have a POV, and differing ideas about how to do things, thats why places like this are so valuable, to bounce ideas around.

and maybe get a good tip as to a better / easier way of doing something.

anyways, got to crack one open,

Guiness DrinkGuiness Drink

ok i have had my rant this morning and feel a lot better for it

now tell me has anyone used this method on a job they used for there assessment

and btw i am sorry if i pxxxxx anyone of but this method i hate with a passion now i am back to my calm and collected self