loop in /and neutral at switches

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My accessor who works for British Standards suggested this method when looking at one of my switches with a lot of cables in. It is a recognised method of wiring but as i said i usually wire into switches.

Batty

ok i have had my rant this morning and feel a lot better for it now tell me has anyone used this method on a job they used for there assessment

and btw i am sorry if i pxxxxx anyone of but this method i hate with a passion now i am back to my calm and collected self
no probs patspark,

yep, >90% of my jobs are done this way, if it is viable,

if Im in a rush or the job has turned out to be a ball ache then I wire in what most people would prob refer to as the traditional method.

I can understand if you have had lots of probs with the spider method, but surely thats down to the workmanship and not the actual method?

I use the spider method some times on rewires because you can pull down the old tubes with one cable. I call the jb a RB4 I think that was the product code years ago.

Well i think everyone has covered this with as many points of view as possible.

I for one have found it very imformative.

The true use and point of this excellent forum continues.

Thanks to all.SSAB. Many thanks to original poster.

Well i think everyone has covered this with as many points of view as possible...............The true use and point of this excellent forum continues.
Indeed so SSAB....

as with many areas of electrics...

there is NO right or WRONG way...

some have personal preferences others easy-on...

but as long as regs H&S, & EAWR satisfied...

then just pick your method appropriate to the circumstances;)

And the ability to discuss the options...

without slanging others off cuz you don't like their method..

is undoubtedly the benefit of this ere forum!!!Applaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

I would just add...

If I am wiring standard pendant roses... I still wire the traditional in-out rose.. loop to switch..

Whereas... if doing your typical wall lights... most definitely loop into either switch or a suitably located j/box with the lives & neutrals..

Cuz as and when someone wants to isolate and/or take down the wall lights..

tis nice and easy to disconnect the supplies to the wall..

OR if they want wall lights with integral switch, (e.g. miniature pull cord)

that they can turn on individually.. then need perm live NOT switched live.

so far more flexibly if all your ends are accessible somewhere to alter as & when required! :)

Thanks for that specs i can fully understand the reasoning behind the different methods and can see how they would all come into there own.

There is a very good little diagram in one of Mr Scaddans books-Electric Wiring Domestic 12th edition page 23 /24

This shows the wiring of two central lights and three walllights all fed from a 4 gang switch.

I have never come across a diagram of back of the box wiring showing loop in and out, feed to lights, and addition of a two way connection also in same box and links across the switches as these change position on 2 way i believe.

do you know of one??Guiness Drink A kme drink in advance for you!! ;)

Cheers SSAB.

It's manned 24 hours a day, Apache. :)

Sirsparkalot. I did do this once as a practice, and took a photo of it. It is not the neatest of practices, and I did put it on a forum, somewhere.

Because I have so many photos, I saved them all onto disc and cleared my pc. I shall try to find them later.

Ah ha, I have found them. Like I said, this was my first and it was a on a practice board in my workshop/shed. So excuse the messiness please.

P2030055.jpg

P2030054.jpg

P2030052.jpg

Thanks Admin as soon as i have some time i will digest your pics, thanks again for posting them.

I may even have them with some :S

And a kme to down them withGuiness Drink.

Apache-Re 5.54 I knew you had gone to bed so thought i might stay up to milk the cows!! ;) :D :D:^O:^O