Mains Smoke/ Heat Detectors

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Sparks

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

Long time no post. Hope we are all busy and doing well.

I have a question regarding the building regulations/part p, concerning mains powered smoke and heat detectors.
I have taken on a job that is in a nutshell to re-wire a new kitchen and conservatory and utility room.
The original kitchen has been extended and the conservatory is new.

I wanted to know if i need to offer mains voltage smoke/heat detectors in the new areas to pass the sign off process?
I didnt know where i stood with this?

I also dont plan to put in a new CSU, the one there is fine and was only installed in the last 6 months. So i will be adding to this new circuits in the above areas.
By adding to the original CSU, do i have to make sure the whole house is now covered with heat/smoke detectors?

If so, if i put in a small CSU just covering my new circuits plus detectors in the new areas mentioned above, can i just cert them and not wire in new ones around the house?

Im in the process of joining the NICEIC as a part p domestic, so was going to use this job as one of the assesments.

Cheers,

Lee.

If it was me doing this job then I'd offer a full smoke/heat alarm system (assuming they don't already have one to add too),,, then if they were to decline then I'd note that I'd offered and that they'd declined on the EIC

One thing I wouldn't do is fit a "part" system as you could possibly end up to the neck in it if something were to happen

As for certification.... You only test and certify the work that you do

If that's an addition to circuits, then you test those circuits (+bonding etc)

or if you've added new circuits then you test those (+bonding etc)

You do not need to test existing circuits that you haven't worked on,,, just make sure that you note on the cert exactly what you have (and more importantly) what you haven't done

I

One thing I wouldn't do is fit a "part" system as you could possibly end up to the neck in it if something were to happen
I don't believe this is correct. Many times the LABC has insisted on smoke/heat detectors in the area which is being built/modified. Although they  would like them in the whole house they can not always insist on it. A few months back we converted a large garage into a 'granny annex'. We had to fit smokes in there & the downstairs hall  of the house as this was the fire exit. This is normally the same with a loft conversion. We also did a job of an extension built on the side of the house as an office with its own door, no internal link to the house, we had to fit a smoke detector just in the extension.

All else has been covered by Noz

Thanks for guidance guys,

Taking in what you say, i think thats a good way forward, to offer a full detection system. (mains powered system with battery back up is grade D, i belive?) in whole house. They either take it or leave it, but insist on covering the new areas with detection.

As for the certing, do you chaps just cert the radial circuit covering the detectors on your EIC as every other radial? or do you cover the circuit on a seperate certificate?

Thank you!

Im guessing i cant fit non-mains battery powered detectors in whole house and it covers me? (silly question?)

At the end of the day it will be down to the building inspector I assume one is involved with the job? If its done wrong he won't sign it off so a word with him or who is running the job is what's needed.