Make me a sparky!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Dan

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just signed up to the forum as need as much help as I can get.

I am looking to retrain as a sparky from a completely unrelated background (as is everyone at the moment).

Am looking at signing up to the OLCI "Become and electrician" course (2330 part 2 and 3, 17th edition, Part P, 2377) for a stupid amount of money before going on to do my NVQ 3 unless someone tells me different?.

Any advice or work experience (in the somerset/bristol area) would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Dan

Welcome to the forum :)

I think the training is the easier part! its getting the experience and actual work that's quite hard to find.

Consider your local college for the courses though, on an evening basis, or day release! Much cheaper and sometimes a lot easier to take it as its a bit slower paced than theses fast rack sparkys

The handy man videos are a very good guide :) ...... on how not to do it! lol

Hi Dan.

I wouldn't bother choosing OLCI either as it is very expensive and I for one fell for it when I attended a few of their workshops. You don't get any training as such, but are expected to turn up, complete the assessment tasks then go home.

OK I suppose if you've been working for a while as a mate and just want the quals quick.

As for that bloody handyman, I though I'd flag some of his videos as dangerous to YouTube, so I can't wait to see what they do. Proberly sweet fa.

As for that bloody handyman, I though I'd flag some of his videos as dangerous to YouTube, so I can't wait to see what they do. Proberly sweet fa.
i did exactly the same lol but doubt owt will get done

Hello Dan,

Welcome to the forum,

I can only echo what the others have said:

College for 2330 Levels 2 & 3. Some colleges do it in 2 Years (Like mine did) but most do it over 3 Years (Mine has now gone down the 3 Year route). It is a heck of a lot of info to take in over 2 or even 3 years.

I personally, did a lot of revising and Practical practice at HOME and it certainly paid off.

City and Guilds 2382-10: 17th Edition Regulations (in short it is to show that you know your way around the regs book).

I Passed my 2392 on the 15th of December 2009. (Fundimental Inspection & Testing - This is on Single-Phase Installations) - There is a Practical and on-line (gola) exam for this.

You also have the 2391-10: the main Inspection & Testing one, which approx only 40-50% of candidates pass. :(

and, if you wanted to, you could go for the Portable Applicance Testing (PAT) course 2377.

Then you have the NVQ 2 and AM2: Both of which, you will need to be in employement with a spark, as they are done on-site with a work log etc.

You don't need to do the "Part P" 2393, as these are covered in your 2330.

All I would concentrate on at the moment is doing your 2330 and possibly the 2382.

I did my 2382, whilst doing my 2330 Level 2.

We have got a "College Directory". This tells you what Electrical colleges do near you. Just enter a college name (or other details such as 2330, 2377 etc) into the search facility at the top of the page.

I have looked into the college route which moneywise would have been my first option but the next available course is September 2010!

I would like/need to get qualified ASAP as being 32 and having a wife/kids/mortgage/cats etc rules out the option of doing it through an apprenticeship as I would be bankrupt by the time I qualified. :-(

I know crash courses are always a last resort but I'm at last resort now (its not very sunny) and I knew a few of the time served guys would take the "you think thats all it takes view" but I'm not daft and know that training is only the start and experience is whats needed in any trade.

The reason I looked at OLCI was its seems to be the most comprehensive.

Alot of the other courses are

Fair enough Dan, I was in the same boat when I started.

OLCI says that you can complete their coarses in your own time, but when you need to do an assessment day/days, they are always in the week 99% of the time, which means taking time off work.

You need to find some work first as there's "qualified" sparks littering the country with nothing to do. Once you've found some work, then you can do a proper course as has been suggested. Doing a fast track course doesn't, IMO, prepare for a job much more than you are now.

Hi Stuart,

Can i get workj without qualifications??? I thought electricians mates etc still had to have some form of qualification???

I have read (rightly or wrongly) that an apprentice earns about

Dan:

No formal qual is required to be an apprentice ANYTHING, IMO.

Lurchio is quite right r.e. the "find work first, worry about quals after" point of view.

What about night school classes? I`ve not had experience of OCLI directly; but people I know who have don`t rate it much, especially in the "quality per cost" ratio!

I understand your reasoning; but don`t throw money away that you can`t afford. That`s a sure way to get started on the wrong foot; and it is very hard to get back to where you started.

"Hundreds for 17th edition"? Search that topic on here; and you`ll find the 17th update for less than

Depends what apprenticeship. I did a JTL apprenticeship and started on about

Unfortunately I fall outside the realms of young person (16-24) now so JTL is out of the question for me.

Thanks though Dean

hey mate if your in the bristol area you should try bridgewater college,

they do the 2330 lvl 2 & 3 as long distance learning. im on lvl 2 at the mo think its about 800 squid per lvl.

Just sent the application forms off for Bridgwater.

Well spotted Neil Applaud Smiley I had looked at Bridgwater but only saw the full-time course.

Damn sight cheaper and just round the corner!

Shouldnt be such a waiting list either as its a distance course.

Last edited by a moderator:
olci aint good mate, i used them, out of 5 i was the only one who passed the course,

it was an assesment not training, they had a book full of questions and assesment, load of exams, the assesors said we arnt here to teach but to asses. the guys did not no a lot of the basic stuff. the people who sell it make it sound like its a case of turning up and passing, it cost a lot. i had to go to 3 different centers

worked out for me ok simply because, i had experiance, i got more while i was doing courses, i was working for

Good evening,

If I were in your shoes I would get a JIB mates card and sign on as a mate with all the agencies.

that way you get the experience for nothing and get paid as a bonus;)

as a previous poster says, you need no quals for this but you get out on the job....

best wishes

alan

ps it is a good job, i have loved it all my life. the best bit is if you are on a pants job it is not forever, no matter what!

Hi big dan,

I went with NCS in southampton, i was in the same boat as you, 32, wife, kids and wanted a change, i knew all the corse would do is get my quals, but it did that and now i'm all set up and selfemployed.

i have found a spark that i am subing to and he is happy with my work, though i am practical and hard working, Its the best thing i have done, i have found so much out working with him just a few days a week.

if poss get in touch with someone to work with as you do or on compleation of the course.

if you need to know anything else let me know and i will try to help

paul

ps.... not to forget all of the helpful advice from this forum, thanks again chaps!

I did the distance learning course at Bridgwater, but that was because I wanted to start in January I think it was rather than wait til September.

I must stress the coursework they give you is easy enough to do, but the course itself is useless unless you are getting significant experience.

At the time I was working just as a mate, only really doing chasing and cutting tray, unistrut and rods, then a bit of first fixing. Then the exam came along and I was expected to do the series of tests, answer questions about them and write about them

Did not have a clue! Still passed though, which doesn't say a lot for the course or the college.