Make me a sparky!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should mention too, the coursework means nothing to the final grade I believe (I could be wrong), its just the practical and some multiple choice on-line tests that count.

The course was about

olci aint good mate, i used them, out of 5 i was the only one who passed the course,it was an assesment not training, they had a book full of questions and assesment, load of exams, the assesors said we arnt here to teach but to asses. the guys did not no a lot of the basic stuff. the people who sell it make it sound like its a case of turning up and passing, it cost a lot. i had to go to 3 different centers

worked out for me ok simply because, i had experiance, i got more while i was doing courses, i was working for

I went to the manchester one and the tutor sits in his office all day, then shuts up shop at half two.

It was a bit of a joke really.

I went to the manchester one and the tutor sits in his office all day, then shuts up shop at half two.It was a bit of a joke really.
they dont seem to fussed, they want to get home early, u want to get the most of your money.

manchester want to bad when i was there, but i know what u mean though.

it is a bit of a joke, they charge a lot for it.

like i said befor its more assesment than training. i mean its a good thing that u just dont get pushed through but they should sell it like that, people happly sign up thinking they are going to be tought, its not the case it was harsh on the other lads.

Paul b b- How did you manage to go to NCS Southampton (have requested info pack from them) being up in Gloucester??? Have you moved since??

Just sent the application forms off for Bridgwater.Well spotted Neil Applaud Smiley I had looked at Bridgwater but only saw the full-time course.

Damn sight cheaper and just round the corner!

Shouldnt be such a waiting list either as its a distance course.
You're right, there is no waiting list.

You'll also miss a hell of a lot that you would have learnt at college, including the practical work. I did my level 2 with Bridgwater, never again. Doing my level 3 one day a week with my local college, and I've learnt more since September than I did covering the entire level 2 course. The book they send you is about the best thing; I didn't bother sending in the coursework, I wanted to get on with it, but the lad I did my practical with sent his in, and often had to wait a month or 2 before getting it back, and received other people's work once or twice.

The staff there are good at their job, there's no doubting that, but from personal experience distance learning isn't the way to go for this sort of qualification. From start to finish took me less than 6 months which is great if you're in a rush, but it's not the right way to go about it.

How long ago did you do the course Marc? Were you local enough to go the evening practical class?

You're right, there is no waiting list.You'll also miss a hell of a lot that you would have learnt at college, including the practical work. I did my level 2 with Bridgwater, never again. Doing my level 3 one day a week with my local college, and I've learnt more since September than I did covering the entire level 2 course. The book they send you is about the best thing; I didn't bother sending in the coursework, I wanted to get on with it, but the lad I did my practical with sent his in, and often had to wait a month or 2 before getting it back, and received other people's work once or twice.

The staff there are good at their job, there's no doubting that, but from personal experience distance learning isn't the way to go for this sort of qualification. From start to finish took me less than 6 months which is great if you're in a rush, but it's not the right way to go about it.

How long ago did you do the course Marc? Were you local enough to go the evening practical class?
Started Dec 08. I wasn't local enough to go to the evening classes, which I know a few people go to. If it's a local college to you then go for it IF you can make the evening classes, but it's not exactly a distance course then! But if anyone not local to the college is considering it, I'd say get yourself to your local college - you'll learn a lot more.

Something I forgot to add yesterday - you'll pay the basic course fee & then I think it's