Make your own "Checkbox"

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When a product designer replies to a forum it is difficult not be reported as spam by other less objective people. However, what this forum and some of its contributors have inferred, or in some cases stated, are now seriously miss-leading other members off on potentially wrong paths.

Yes, I agree with all those people who say and recommend you make your own. Get the connector bocks/soldering iron out, buy some cheap resistors, (look at resistor values of commercial checkboxes), and make one. If you want to and have the time splash out further put them in a box with 4mm sockets. These are all good solutions and they will work.

You'll find that is exactly what I have done. ;)

Welcome to the forum.

You made the creditcard sized ones, Yes?

I feel I must comment on such an informative post.

Obviously, the gentleman concerned is defending his product (which I have never seen, and, as an electronics engineer with a few thousand spare components kicking about, would never buy), but has done so in a very fair & open minded manner.

We have all seen the replies from mfrg`s r.e their product being something special. We are not daft (or we`d be plumbers), but some things make a lot of sense when pointed out.

How many of us had said "hang on, any old resistor will do?" None.

Yes, we can stuff low ohm resistors in a circuit for continuity, and megohm ones for ins. We can even make a switchable one for confirming PSC / EFL.

We can have a dedicated RCBo for checking "our" trip - though, IMHO, there are too many variables which COULD affect that.

I believe Mr. Calltronics has given a valuable post to this thread, and hope that it is recognised as such.

KME

I believe Mr. Calltronics has given a valuable post to this thread, and hope that it is recognised as such.

KME
Indeed he has, KME. That is why his post remains active and Not gone for being this

Well you started the anagram for it, earlier....

maps

A check box is one of the easiest things to make next to an electronic egg timer.

Is Mr Caltronics checkbox a bit like that energy cleaner thingymajig?

Although he posted an informative post, I cant help that his product is an overpriced piece of TAT, that given myself an electronics engineer of several decades, would look at, laugh then throw it in the bin.

Your entitled to your opinion ABC.

:)

Sorry Admin I ranted a bit there.

It does get my back up when some companies try to protect THEIR product, which is essentially very, very basic electronics that a kid could do at home with one of them "Learn electronics" kits that you get from woolies.

What are you appologising to me for? I said that evryone is entitled to their opinion.

Even if it about "Welshy's" check box too. ;)

I for one will be making my own check box as per this forums instructions

I just love these people........

A check box is one of the easiest things to make next to an electronic egg timer.Is Mr Caltronics checkbox a bit like that energy cleaner thingymajig?

Although he posted an informative post, I cant help that his product is an overpriced piece of TAT, that given myself an electronics engineer of several decades, would look at, laugh then throw it in the bin.
In this instance Mr ABC Technical contribution to the forum is a classic example of why to keep contributions on forums objective and informative and based on some quantifiable and accountable reasoning. I look forward to these answers should Mr Moderator feel that this post deserves an answer?

(I feel I am entering the childish world of TAT.)

"Overpriced" - How as the cheapest off the shelf solution (fact) can it be overpriced for the market?

"Easiest thing to make" - without going into the intricacies and processes of making surface mount sandwich work at 1500 volts (which is patent pending), I believe my contribution and aim of the piece was to re-assert the fact that - "anyone can make a checkbox and here's the is the details of how".

Despite been an engineer, sorry electronics engineer of "several decades", I fail to understand how can he compare a simple resistor network to that of the complexities of an timer device for boiling eggs? They are leagues apart!

To all those who read my post and wish to make a Calibration Checkbox - honestly they are far more simpler than Mr ABC Technical insinuates, don;'t be put off by his over complication of the design, he is obviously confused with simple resistors and that of crystal controlled electronics with buzzers of the egg timer.

I hope you other real life engineers found my post helpful in making your checkbox. Please if you have any objective questions or points I am only too happy to help you - which I believe is the real focus of a forum, as opposed to an sad extension of a social life.

regards,

PS

Mr ABC Technical (gold cup!), please do contact me and I'll send the product in order you may present a more balanced and informative view, to the other reader of the forum?

I hope you other real life engineers found my post helpful in making your checkbox. Please if you have any objective questions or points I am only too happy to help you - which I believe is the real focus of a forum, as opposed to an sad extension of a social life.

regards,

PS

Mr ABC Technical (gold cup!), please do contact me and I'll send the product in order you may present a more balanced and informative view, to the other reader of the forum?
Hello Calltronics.

I will just say welcome to the forum from me! :) :)

I was not sure if your first post was just a one-off Marketing type post.

anyway ..

back on 20th July when Patsparks brought this item to the attention of the forum I did actual prompt the question if anyone had one personally to give a real life report on the product....

post #22

That looks very good....almost too good to be true?

anyone got one????
post #26

You are Officially nominated at the "Forum guinea pig" to test this item...then give us all a full road test report!
Following your first post I was going to be cheeky and ask if any samples were available for "real-world-testing"?

Personally I already have a home-made checkbox AND

a professional purchased one.. with a +1ohm switch for earth loop test socket as well. (large box Socket&See jobbie.)

so I wouldn't be naturally inclined to purchase another pocket sized card...

BUT if I knew they were reliably & robust...

then I could see the benefits of the simple easy to carry around for on-the-spot quick checks!? :)

Is your "ABC" offer open to anyone else!!! :) :) :D :D

(puts on most polite smile & best telephone answering voice)

please sir...

I am more than willing to give a real life road test back to the forum on how it works in the typical sparkies toolbox!

p.s

look forward to you bringing a bit more input to other threads & topics as well.

At the risk of spamming.............

To all those who wish to try and then feedback true information to the group.

Please contact me with details and I'll send samples out.

Providing the response isn't too great I don't see why valuable feedback couldn't be gained by professionals such as yourself.

Please though don't put posts up asking for samples.

This just cloggs the boards up.

Send my a message

Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.