Maximum Wires In A MCB

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectekAir

Reaction score
After Hijacking the thread 'Non Standard CCT' i thought i would start a new one

What are your guys opinions on this? The Maximum number of wires in a MCB i was always told 2 but have learned today that there are no regs to say yes or no

There is no regulation in BS7671 which stipulates any maximum number of conductor that are permitted to be placed in one MCB.

I have, however, had problems with clamping up several conductors. I have found it to be a problem with "cheaper" MCBs. Well designed and well made clamps should be capable of retaining quite a few conductors. I've found that when I have a problem with conductor retention that folding them over helps. It can be worse too when there is a mix of sizes or some are solid and some are stranded (mix of imperial and metric cable). In these instances I might put a cord end terminal on the stranded conductor to limit strand spread. Sometimes it pays to split out the cables to different circuits, so on a CU change you end up with more MCBs than you started with fuses (eg garage spurs that were added to a downstairs ring might be split out as their own radial).

I've not experienced these problems with either Eatom/MEM, MK or (new) Hager MCBs. Indeed I quite like the new Hager boards and generally use these all the time now (they've picked up many of MEMs design points).

There is no need, though, to split out conductors just for the sake of it.

as many as can safely be installed would be my answer. may only be 1, or could be 6 (or more) (newer wylex have a thing in the middle, effectively makes it 2 terminals in 1)

So a stuck in his ways sparks yarn then?
No not at all until today i have never heard about this and have being doing it for 22 Years but now i know that it is not nessasery I can change (Never too old to learn)

I will give him a call and ask why???

It could have been in the regs (South Africa) over there it is a criminal offence to do electrical work if you are not a spark, never saw any DIY

I will give him a call and ask why??? It could have been in the regs (South Africa) over there it is a criminal offence to do electrical work if you are not a spark, never saw any DIY
Punishable by a 1000v insualtion test to the ear lobes?

Sounds like another NIC yarn to me.
Here we go again. I used to be a hater of the Niceic on hearing tales like this. However after being with them for a few years now i realise most of these 'The Nic says' stories are bullpoo.

Half the time its only the view of some spark who may or may not even be/work for a Nic enrolled company, nothing actually to do with the organisation. The other half, things are taken completely out of context

to the original problem.

You will find the Nic helpline will never actually say yes or no to an enquiry, but to raise certain points and then guide you to a result. One recent example was i wasn't sure whether to put satisfactory or unsatisfactory on a PIR because of a couple of unusual items. After discussing the faults the helplines advice was ' if you put satisfactory on the report, will any corrective work ever be carried out ?' They then let me decide. This does not mean you should always say the Nic said this or that whenever you see a particular thing as their are many contributing factors.

Obviously we all strive for it to be 1. as said no reg though