Means of isolation from meter tails

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

persistant1

Reaction score
Evening all.

Went to have a look at a rewire today where the customers fuse board is located at the entrance of 2 bed masionette.

he wants a new board install within the property which involves extending the talis about 8 meters plus. As ime aware it will require a double pole isolator to be installed.

My question being how do you overcome the fact that the supplier does not permit you to install an isolator within theire meter cupboard or board.

Thanks in advance.

My question being how do you overcome the fact that the supplier does not permit you to install an isolator within theire meter cupboard or board.
Install it outside the cupboard\off the board?

If that isn't an option, then as long as you don;t take the **** and fill the cupboard with stuff then they aren;t usually bothered about a switch\small switcfhfuse.

Evening all.My question being how do you overcome the fact that the supplier does not permit you to install an isolator within theire meter cupboard or board.

Thanks in advance.
It is NOT their meter cupboard...

i.e. if the hinge on the door is broken they accept no responsibility for repair replacement etc...

On a new build..

it is the builder and/or homeowner who pays for supplies & installed the meter box!

Meter cupboard IS the property of the homeowner!

;)

It is NOT their meter cupboard...i.e. if the hinge on the door is broken they accept no responsibility for repair replacement etc...

On a new build..

it is the builder and/or homeowner who pays for supplies & installed the meter box!

Meter cupboard IS the property of the homeowner!

;)
But if you overfilled it with switches and stuff they probably would refuse to connect you up.

If your extending the taills that far you cant use an isolstor, it will have to be a switch fuse .

If your extending the taills that far you cant use an isolstor, it will have to be a switch fuse .
Good Point. :Applaud

should not be using tails for that far either it should be a suitably sized cable with integral earth. from memory tails should not be run any further than 3 meters.

use a kmf400 switch fuse

regards andy

yeah sorry was thinking of being away from the meter.

i have seen a house with tails knotched into the top of the joist with no mech protection. this was from one end of the house to the other.

hopefullly most of us have now become aware that there are many things in the regs that are.

1. over the top

2. dont go far enough

e.g i personaly will always put an earth fly lead to the back box. however this is not mentioned reg wise. just good working practice.

i dont think running tails for any distance within a house is good practice. in my eyes they are used to link up local kit dbs swfs meter ect. not to be used as means of a circuit. this surely is the same as the old di 1.0mm singles they used to use for a lighting switch wire. you would never consider it now.

if i could run the circuit in metal trunking then id be happy with it, but i doubt anyone would do this in this situation. more likly put under the floor voide and left in a spiraling tangle.

not starting an argument but im sure you see my point reg wise.

andy

Latest posts