Mechanical protection for cables...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo

Reaction score
Got a couple of jobs coming up which are a little tricky to say the least.

First one, I need to run main bonds to the intake positons of the gas and water supply pipes. Problem being their at the opposite end of the house to the distribution board. Upstairs is laminate flooring throughout.

The easiest and most hassle free way I can see is the drill out of the house near the distribution board and route the cable around the house at low level to the position of the incoming supply and then drill back in and bond.

My question is would surface clipping suffice or would any regulations, building or electrical, only allow this if its in conduit of some kind?

Obviously to clip it would be far easier, quicker and cheaper but I need to know my options before passing on a price.

Second problem is an elderly couple who have had a new kitchen fitted, painted and decorated to the point of completion when all of a sudden they've finally twigged that some electricity in the room might be a nice idea.

Once again my options to limit mess and disruption are limited but im wondering if I can run t&e etc around the room under the kitchen units loosely andn then looping up to the various sockets. Again I know its not ideal but I dont even think ive got room under there to get a hammer to clip the 2.5mm along the skirting to keep it up off the floor.

Dont you just love this job :)

What are your thoughts?

hi mate, ive got a simlar job to do tomorrow, ive priced to run some conduit round, just so it looks a bit more professional, unsure of the exact requirements for mechanical protection tho, is it anything below 4mm needs it???

Thought cable had to be fixed? Not very professional having loose cable under units. Could get caught and pulled. Possibly more prone to rodent damage.

How about a cable tacker? Could operate 1 handed at arms length?

Thought cable had to be fixed? Not very professional having loose cable under units. Could get caught and pulled. Possibly more prone to rodent damage.How about a cable tacker? Could operate 1 handed at arms length?
Yup totally agree. Not something I would usually ever consider.

I would need to buy a cable tacker to do that. Does it "tack" up to 6mm t&e as ive got to get a cooker feed out there !?

Yup totally agree. Not something I would usually ever consider. I would need to buy a cable tacker to do that. Does it "tack" up to 6mm t&e as ive got to get a cooker feed out there !?
Dunno mate - I'm not a spark. I've seen them for 2.5mm T&E commonly. Looks at your wholesaler?

here:

http://www.qvsdirect.com/Professional-Wire-Cable-Tacker-pr-22289.html

can do 4mm T&E with the 12mm clip. They claim it also takes a 15mm presumably for 6mm?

Pushy Shovey! think you need more than 6mm total width for 6mm T&E cable? :|
sorry about that but you can buy bigger staples and stapler

Well that resolves the kitchen job problem.

What do you think about free clipping 10mm earth externally or should I price for installing conduit for the runs. I know in an ideal world the more protection the better but is there anything preventing me from clipping to the underside of the brickwork using dowels etc to keep the job relatively cheaper?

None at all mate, just checking im not completely losing it. Ive had a hectic week and dunno whether im coming or going.

Well that resolves the kitchen job problem.What do you think about free clipping 10mm earth externally or should I price for installing conduit for the runs. I know in an ideal world the more protection the better but is there anything preventing me from clipping to the underside of the brickwork using dowels etc to keep the job relatively cheaper?
would concur with KME there...

10mm perfectly OK without mechanical protection..

can sometimes look a bit naff if in a highly visible location..

say across the front of a house? :_|

But I have clipped 10mm externally frequently..

In fact one of my first Assessment jobs had 10mm running along the back wall to kitchen water stop tap!

Mr NICEIC didn't bat an eyelid, or say any thing was wrong! :) ;)

Well that resolves the kitchen job problem.What do you think about free clipping 10mm earth externally or should I price for installing conduit for the runs. I know in an ideal world the more protection the better but is there anything preventing me from clipping to the underside of the brickwork using dowels etc to keep the job relatively cheaper?
cant see anything wrong with that Rob, aint the prettiest thing, but it aint a fashion show!

regarding the kitchen units

technically, the cable would be be adequately supported (laying in the floor) would be protected from damage (arms length under the units), and if pelmets/kickboards are fiited, accessible only with the use of a tool.

Why would this be ay different to a cable laying ubder floorboards!

not ideal, of course, but we dont always (or ever) get the ideal jobs

cant think of any regs that would contravened.........

hi the kitchen you dont really have a lot of choice so just for extra protection

i would run the cables then incase them in sticky back trunking they dont really need it but it will look neat and professional as for your earth if it is low level

i would use conduit where it can be reached by kids the same way i do with

areal cable for some reason kids cant resist popping the clips or swinging on it

cant see anything wrong with that Rob, aint the prettiest thing, but it aint a fashion show!regarding the kitchen units

technically, the cable would be be adequately supported (laying in the floor) would be protected from damage (arms length under the units), and if pelmets/kickboards are fiited, accessible only with the use of a tool.

Why would this be ay different to a cable laying ubder floorboards!

not ideal, of course, but we dont always (or ever) get the ideal jobs

cant think of any regs that would contravened.........
Exactly. And yes pelmets/kickboards are fitted.

Not ideal but by no means dangerous.