megaflo-connection to fusebox? confused

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinxsize

Reaction score
Hello guys

I have 3 questions:

1. Is the kitchen has to be connect to the fusebox on the separate fuse and RCD? with 17th edition instalation?

2.Is the Megaflo system boiler has to be connect to the fusebox on the separate fuse and RCD? with 17th edition instalation?

3.Is the socket outside in the garden with armored cable has to be on the separate fuse connected to the fusebox or not?

Thank you very much for answers!!

Are You really sure the kitchen ring doesn't has to be on separate fuse? and the outside socket too? Thank You very much for replay

thank You , so the outside socket can't be connected without a RCD , correct?

no if its indirect and yes if its direct.
Why the difference?

It's good practice to have it's own radial circuit, by why any difference depending upon direct or indirect.

If it's direct (i.e no other heat input source) then the bottom heater would normally go to an off peak circuit.

What is a Megaflow Boiler ?
He means a mains pressure hot water cylinder. There are several makes not just "megaflow" but the term has become a bit like "hoover" to describe ANY pressureised hot water tank.

Confusing calling it a "boiler" as I found out on a recent loft conversion when the spec said "boiler" but when I went to second fix, the "boiler" turned out to be a pressurised direct hot water cylinder. I had not provisioned for a seperate off peak feed to the bottom heater so had to feed it from a timer instead.

So lets avoid that sort of confusion for anyone else, a megaflow hot water cylinder is NOT a boiler.

Hi

It is good practice to connect a Kitchen socket circuit on it own but NOT a requirement of the 17th Edition, it may include sockets in other rooms.

Your WATER HEATER is required to have its own RADIAL circuit, any WATER HEATER that holds more then 15 ltrs or over 2 kw should.

Socket outlets out of doors can be fed of a Ring or Radial power circuit

All sockets inside or out should have RCD protection, and the Water heater circuit as well IF its cable is set in the wall with no earthed metal protection.

all i was getting at with the direct/indirect comment was if it has a direct heating source then it should be on a seperate circuit but if all your feeding is a control valve/pump/stat etc then that doesn't need a seperate feed.

all i was getting at with the direct/indirect comment was if it has a direct heating source then it should be on a seperate circuit but if all your feeding is a control valve/pump/stat etc then that doesn't need a seperate feed.
Thanks for clarifying that. But it would be good practice to connect the immersion even on an indirect system so there's a backup method of heating the hot water if the boiler fails.

i quite agree, why some people bother with those massive bungs is beyond me, an 11" immersion is only about

possabilty of overload if customer was to use microwave, blender and 6 mixers all at the same time
.....while also doing a load of washing with the last load in the dryer and making a cup of tea:put the kettle on:_|